Visit website
Reply 281
Original post by Snowman19
Same! What building are you in?

MAC1.1, you?
Original post by Talmaa
Hi bro

Hey there, you staying in Rowhedge too?
Before accepting the offer of accommodation, Can we ask to change it if we are not happy with the allocation?
I have been assigned at the Copse on the 6th floor and to share the kitchen with 11 others. Not too sure how to feel about it
Original post by crashmario
Before accepting the offer of accommodation, Can we ask to change it if we are not happy with the allocation?
I have been assigned at the Copse on the 6th floor and to share the kitchen with 11 others. Not too sure how to feel about it

Yes, you can decline the offer
But if I decline will they offer another accommodation?
Original post by crashmario

Omg I feel you!!! Especially the sharing kitchen part. But sadly, I asked them if I can change to a lesser flatmates flat and they said they can’t help!!! I requested it when I book as well (I think they didn’t even bother reading the request tbh, I feel like none of my request were granted) so I think you have no choice but to accept the offer tbh, that’s what I did :frown:
Original post by Annonymous8811
Omg I feel you!!! Especially the sharing kitchen part. But sadly, I asked them if I can change to a lesser flatmates flat and they said they can’t help!!! I requested it when I book as well (I think they didn’t even bother reading the request tbh, I feel like none of my request were granted) so I think you have no choice but to accept the offer tbh, that’s what I did :frown:[/QU

I know! :frown: I thought maybe if I ask to change to another building with less flatmates would be ok...
Not that I am not sociable but I thought it would be easier and nicer to make meaningful friendships in a smaller group.
Oh well, I am sure we will be fine and we are just over thinking.
Do you know if there is a lift at the Copse?
I will be on the 6th floor! Come on....
Anyone doing BA Economics?
Omg I feel you!!! Especially the sharing kitchen part. But sadly, I asked them if I can change to a lesser flatmates flat and they said they can’t help!!! I requested it when I book as well (I think they didn’t even bother reading the request tbh, I feel like none of my request were granted) so I think you have no choice but to accept the offer tbh, that’s what I did :frown:[/QU

I know! :frown: I thought maybe if I ask to change to another building with less flatmates would be ok...
Not that I am not sociable but I thought it would be easier and nicer to make meaningful friendships in a smaller group.
Oh well, I am sure we will be fine and we are just over thinking.
Do you know if there is a lift at the Copse?
I will be on the 6th floor! Come on....

Omg ikr! :frown: I’m still so bumped about sharing with so many person 😭 it’ll be really tough to get along with so many person man, but hopefully we will be fine. Moreover, we are paying so much to stay at the copse, we shouldn’t share the kitchen with so many ppl :frown: and regarding the lift, I was told there will be no lift by askthehub but Essex live chat say there will be a lift 😂
Anyone doing Computer Game Programming (Bcs) here?
Original post by isral
Is anyone staying in the Copse accommodation?

I’m staying in The Oaks floor 7, you?
Original post by Michiyo

Welcome to the Essex Applicants Thread 2018! :grin:

This is a thread to meet people who are applying to Essex and talk about it in general. :woo:

Course:
AS grades (if applicable):
Predicted grades:

Hi! I'm Raquel, I'm going to start International Relations with Modern Languages this fall at Essex university. I have one doubt about one point of my career. I'm going to do International Relations with Modern Languages and I know I'm going to choose french as a first language, but I'm not really sure about the second one yet (from which I will start with no previous knowledge) . I don't really understand the structure of the course, specially the first year: the opcional intensive modules are 15 credits but the subjects are 30. If I want to do ( for example) french as a first language and italian as a second? And am I right if I say spanish is not an option because I'm from Spain?
Reply 293
Original post by Raquel Martinez
Hi! I'm Raquel, I'm going to start International Relations with Modern Languages this fall at Essex university. I have one doubt about one point of my career. I'm going to do International Relations with Modern Languages and I know I'm going to choose french as a first language, but I'm not really sure about the second one yet (from which I will start with no previous knowledge) . I don't really understand the structure of the course, specially the first year: the opcional intensive modules are 15 credits but the subjects are 30. If I want to do ( for example) french as a first language and italian as a second? And am I right if I say spanish is not an option because I'm from Spain?

Hello, Raquel! :hugs:

I am a second year International Relations student who took German as an outside module. :h: Feel free to ask me anything, including for help during the university year as I have already finished the modules you will take and did well in them. :cube:

Yes, Spanish is not an option. First year language options are only for beginners or people who are intermediate in the language; since you are fluent in Spanish, you cannot exactly take it as a first year module. :redface: I doubt they will let you take it in other years either because you need to take credits for your degree languages, so you cannot exactly afford to take unrelated modules.

For International Relations and Modern Languages, the language modules appear as optional, but that is only because you can decide which languages to choose. In practice, they are basically the same as core and compulsory modules, but cannot be called that officially since the standard name of the degree is 'International Relations and Modern Languages' and there is little point in having a page for every single language combination when there are so many combinations possible.

By subjects, I assume you are referring to the number of credits your French module will have. 30 credits modules run all year; most language modules are 30 credits modules. The only 15 credits modules are intensive initial modules. As for the 15 credits modules, they exist both for people like you who will study Intensive Initial Italian 1 in the autumn term and Intensive Initial Italian 2 in the spring term and for people who take the first intensive initial module in their first year and the second one in their second year instead of taking them both in the same year like you. People who took a language in one year, but want to switch to another language in the second year (but who do not study Modern Languages) can also use those intensive initial modules.

Other degrees have optional modules from any other department and taking up a language is not an uncommon thing to do for people who are not studying Modern Languages. For example, I had 60 optional credits from any department, so I took a 30 credits history module and a 30 credits German module. Alternatively, I could have picked the 30 credits history module, a 15 credits politics module, and an intensive initial module for 15 credits (or any other combination that only left me with 15 credits to use for foreign languages). If I did that, I could have continued with the intensive initial module in my second year.

Basically, the 15 credits intensive initial modules are worth 15 credits just to give students more flexibility, create more opportunities for students who wish to take languages outside of their degree subject, and separate those with previous language learning experience from complete beginners. :smile:

In your case, in order to have Italian as your second degree language, you will have to take Intensive Initial Italian 1 and 2 in your first year. You will attend a short summer school at the end of the year so you can go straight up to Advanced Italian in your second year. In your final year, you will study Proficiency Level Italian (and also Mastery Level French).

Moral of the story: Do not worry too much about whether a module is a 15 credits intensive initial module or a 30 credits module! It is basically the same thing anyway. :laugh:
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 294
Anyone business school students here? Which accommodation you guys got?
anybody not got accommodation for colchester and looking to go priv? message me xxxxx
Original post by GeekGirls
Hello Everyone!

COURSE: Law with Human Rights LLB
GRADES: Swedish Qualifications
Which accomodation are you staying in?
Have an offer from Essex, has anyone else got an offer and/ or chosen yet?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending