The Student Room Group

LSE MSC application 2018/19 discussion

Hello everyone

I've created this discussion for people applying or having offer (later on) for 2018-19 postgraduate study at LSE.

I'm holding a deferred offer for starting MSC at LSE next year in 2018 so I think it might be great to start a discussion here if you're for LSE next year to chat and share tips & tricks or strategies.

Also best of luck with your application ^_^

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi! Everyone! I'm planning to study MSc Economics at LSE with my First Clss Honours from my undergraduate degree.
I still didn't take a GRE test since I'm an international student T^T but I plan to take the test in around late October or early November.
I plan to submit my application on postgraduate programme around late December.
Are there any chance for me to have an offer since the apply process starts in October?
Reply 2
Original post by NapatG
Hi! Everyone! I'm planning to study MSc Economics at LSE with my First Clss Honours from my undergraduate degree.
I still didn't take a GRE test since I'm an international student T^T but I plan to take the test in around late October or early November.
I plan to submit my application on postgraduate programme around late December.
Are there any chance for me to have an offer since the apply process starts in October?

Well from my experience GRE (especially Quant section) is one of the main criteria LSE uses for consideration so I think you should take it before submitting your application. Maybe you should register for GRE test in early October and spend a few weeks from now on preparing for it.

In this case you can submit application to LSE in late October or early November which will make you stand a good chance for an offer as you've already got a first class. The earlier you apply the greater chance you will be offered a place as selectors still don't have to make a harsh trade-off during that time compared to the overheated period.

After that you can go for something else like IELTS (if your degree isn't from English-speaking countries) as it can be taken as part of conditional offer. If you submit application around late December it will be prolonged due to long Christmas vacation so i encourage you to take GRE as your first priority to do.

If you have any questions then feel free to ask I've been through this moment before (3 months of waiting for an offer) so I understand there will be lots of things to do and what to expect ^_^
Hey,

I'm planning on applying to MSc Finance and Private Equity.

My question is regarding the academic requirement. Does the admission team look at the overall score or they can look at a specific subject grades?

I'm an international student applying from South Africa. I didn't perform that well in first year (58% overall) but much better in 2nd year (got 75% in Finance and got some others scores of 67% for other subjects ) and I'm currently sitting at ~71% for Finance in this final 3rd year (I'm graduating in December).
Hi! I'm from Argentina planning to study MSc Economics at LSE as well! Unfortunately i don't have First Class Honours from my undergraduate degree as I had 2 undergraduate degrees (Economics and Actuarial Science) practically in the same time that my classmates got their first while working 8hs a day due to financial constraints. I think I have a strong CV overall but I know that is a big problem that I couldn't keep a good GPA in both of my degrees. I'm writing here just to get in touch with some people and hear your advices/thoughts about my possibilities of getting in. Best of luck in your application! :smile:
Hi everyone!

I am from Malaysia but work and live in Central Asia under a short-term work assignment since 2014. I graduated from the US in 2010 and I am planning to do MSc Operations Research and Analytics in LSE in 2018. Submitted my application on 9 October 2017 and awaiting for next email on LSE ID. Any of you here already applied? Whats your status now?

I am just writing here to connect with anyone, particularly those who are planning to do the same course as me and share ideas/advice on post-study, job prospect, etc. and in general field of OR and analytics. :smile:
Reply 6
Hi All,I have applied for the MSc Finance course. I have an undergraduate degree in Engineering and currently working at a BB. I received my LSE ID email today. Does anyone know when offers start to come in? Anyone else doing the MSc Finance course? :smile:
Original post by nath.w
Hi All,I have applied for the MSc Finance course. I have an undergraduate degree in Engineering and currently working at a BB. I received my LSE ID email today. Does anyone know when offers start to come in? Anyone else doing the MSc Finance course? :smile:

when did you submit the application? I am still waiting for my LSE ID.
Application submitted on 9th October, and ID received on 14th October
Original post by 20undefined
Application submitted on 9th October, and ID received on 14th October

Hi,

Do you mind sharing your profil?
Hi all,

Since this is my first time applying, I wonder, are applicants going to be notified if their application were rejected?

Thanks!
Reply 11
I received my ID on Friday. If they reject you, I assume you should hear sooner (by mid-Novmber I would guess) but that depends on which course you applied to.
Original post by AAA9
I received my ID on Friday. If they reject you, I assume you should hear sooner (by mid-Novmber I would guess) but that depends on which course you applied to.

I am still waiting for my LSE ID. Meaning to say LSE will not wait after the application deadline to send out results to applicants?
Reply 13
For most course there isn't a deadline they review applications as they come in, but I think if you applied early like we have you can expect a decision from early December.
Original post by AAA9
For most course there isn't a deadline they review applications as they come in, but I think if you applied early like we have you can expect a decision from early December.

Yes, received my LSE ID on 16 October 2017. In the email it says that it will take 8 weeks for the result of my application to be out. 8 weeks counting start now! :smile:
Guys, can you please share your profils too otherwise this thread is useless. I think we will all benefit from doing that.

May you state some or all of the following :

Programme you're applying to
Date of application
Grades + bachelor type
Experience (work, internship, or student societies)

Thanks
Original post by Napoléon
Guys, can you please share your profils too otherwise this thread is useless. I think we will all benefit from doing that.

May you state some or all of the following :

Programme you're applying to
Date of application
Grades + bachelor type
Experience (work, internship, or student societies)

Thanks

Here is mine:

Degree: BSc. in Petroleum Engineering, 2010, 3.525 CGPA

Work Experience: 2011 - Present (7 years) as Well Engineer with MNC - Involved in engineering projects and based in Malaysia (3 years), Vietnam (1 year) & Turkmenistan (3 years and counting).

LSE Application: MSc. in Operations Research & Analytics, full time. Completed my application on 9 October 2017 and received LSE ID on 16 October 2017.

Corporate world is a world driven by data technology. Hence, its management processes and decision-making process can be a complex thing. So, expertise of Operations Research & Analytics will let me to step into leadership role quicker.

Ask me any questions if you have any. :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by Faizfablillah
Hi all,

Since this is my first time applying, I wonder, are applicants going to be notified if their application were rejected?

Thanks!

Yes all applicants will be notified of the outcome via email regarding of whether successful or not and this will be updated on LSE For You as well.

I submitted application in early October 2016 and got accepted in mid February 2017 so I would say the chance of being successful is somewhat positively correlated with the time of waiting.
Hi everybody,I should have all the docs (statement, references) and scores by early December. Is it gonna be too late? I am applying for Msc Economics and Management there.
Hi guys!

I'm applying for the MSc in Risk and Finance. Submitted my complete application yesterday, one of my references took a bit of time unfortunately.
I'm originally from the Netherlands but study a BA International Management in Scotland and have studied in Spain as well, predicted 1st Class Honours degree. I've held quite a lot of positions in student societies and sports, as well as involvement in academic representation. I haven't really done any internships, so I've just took on summer jobs and did online courses in contract law and project management. Very excited to see if I get into LSE! Judging by your replies, it seems you don't get your LSE ID straight after your application, so I won't worry about that for now then, haha!
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest