The Student Room Group

NEXT STEPS AS A POST-GRADUATE: Stressed as I have no idea where to go.

Hey, all.

I'll try and keep this as simple as I can.
In July, I graduated with a 2:1 in Psychology, which is awesome, and obviously opens a ton of doors. I'm currently spending the year (September - July) in Paris, France as a nounou in order to gain childcare experience, earn some money and pick up a new language, as well as travel, I suppose!

My original plan was to apply for a PGCE for 2018 entry, and I was to apply for Secondary Psychology. However, what's really ****ing me up is the 'work experience' section. I can arrange for some, and I planned to take some holiday time in order to go back to the UK and fit in some work experience in May-June. However, a lot of the application is assuming that this experience is already done and dusted, and you can write about it which...I cannot.

I have plenty of experience in other sectors: I've been an NCS mentor (twice), I worked in a psychiatric ward and taught English in Sri Lanka, I'm currently teaching English in France...but this damn experience in UK schools!

So then I figure: is it worth waiting for 2018 applications and then applying for 2019 entry? If that's th case, I was considering spending the year with my TEFL (which I am qualified in) and hopping to South Korea for a year, after getting the work experience May 2018.

So, yeah. Do I apply now or next year for a PGCE?
Original post by chrolloswaifu
Hey, all.

I'll try and keep this as simple as I can.
In July, I graduated with a 2:1 in Psychology, which is awesome, and obviously opens a ton of doors. I'm currently spending the year (September - July) in Paris, France as a nounou in order to gain childcare experience, earn some money and pick up a new language, as well as travel, I suppose!

My original plan was to apply for a PGCE for 2018 entry, and I was to apply for Secondary Psychology. However, what's really ****ing me up is the 'work experience' section. I can arrange for some, and I planned to take some holiday time in order to go back to the UK and fit in some work experience in May-June. However, a lot of the application is assuming that this experience is already done and dusted, and you can write about it which...I cannot.

I have plenty of experience in other sectors: I've been an NCS mentor (twice), I worked in a psychiatric ward and taught English in Sri Lanka, I'm currently teaching English in France...but this damn experience in UK schools!

So then I figure: is it worth waiting for 2018 applications and then applying for 2019 entry? If that's th case, I was considering spending the year with my TEFL (which I am qualified in) and hopping to South Korea for a year, after getting the work experience May 2018.

So, yeah. Do I apply now or next year for a PGCE?

Please don't bump threads less than 24h old. People don't live on TSR!

You're right in terms of needing work experience to talk about and as you have options for taking another year out to get it and then applying take that rather than going through the process this year and not getting anywhere. You may want to email unis and ask how they'd view you as an applicant now with the experience you do have to give you peace of mind.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending