The Student Room Group

S2 or M1 : urgent decison

I need to decide soon whether I should do M1 or S2 for the applied module, as I will be doing maths by myself with edexcel exam board.

I don't know because in S1 I got a D last year and altough the concept was easy the exam was really difficult. So I was more tempted to do M1 but a lot people are saying M1 is harder. It's only easier if you do physics and I don't do physics . There's more to learn for M1 I have heard but then Further Maths student do S2 and I have it's also very hard and grade boundaries are high.

I might have to teach the module to myself, so I am confused. And I don't know whether a D grade is enough understanding for me to carry it on to A2 if it means I have to learn less.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
do s2, it will help you understand some of the s1 concepts better if you are doing a retake and it is a lot easier than M1
Reply 2
Original post by Nikstarz
I need to decide soon whether I should do M1 or S2 for the applied module, as I will be doing maths by myself.

I don't know because in S1 I got a D last year and altough the concept was easy the exam was really difficult. So I was more tempted to do M1 but a lot people are saying M1 is harder. It's only easier if you do physics and I don't do physics . There's more to learn for M1 I have heard but then Further Maths student do S2 and I have it's also very hard and grade boundaries are high.

I might have to teach the module to myself, so I am confused. And I don't know whether a D grade is enough understanding for me to carry it on to A2 if it means I have to learn less.

Can I ask how you did in the core modules?
Reply 3
Original post by Notnek
Can I ask how you did in the core modules?

I did better than S1in them, mostly Cs.
Reply 4
Original post by Danpai
do s2, it will help you understand some of the s1 concepts better if you are doing a retake and it is a lot easier than M1

So is M1 harder even for edexcel ? Also can I just add the only people who can help me with applied modules know M1 and not S2. I don't think I will be doing a S1 retake as I already did a retake in it and I found normal distribution hard. I'm much better at core modules.
I need to decide soon whether I should do M1 or S2 for the applied module, as I will be doing maths by myself.

M1 is fairly straightforward and is an AS module so should be easier.
Reply 6
Original post by Talk213456
M1 is fairly straightforward and is an AS module so should be easier.

Have you done M1 yourself ?
Have you done M1 yourself ?

Yep
I sat S1 and M1 last year and found S1 so so much easier (I don't easily understand physics by the way). I'm learning S2 at the moment and definitely prefer it to M1, but it should be harder as M1 is an AS module. I do OCR though so the exam board may differ in content.
M1 is very easy, its an AS module while S2 is A2. I dont do physics but its all very basic
Reply 10
Original post by aleexhunt
M1 is very easy, its an AS module while S2 is A2. I dont do physics but its all very basic

Thanks for the reassurance, guess I am leaning more towards M1 now especially because the people who can help me are more familiar with M1. :h:

Quick Reply

Latest