The Student Room Group

What does an Art GCSE's help with?

I've chosen my options before the summer and I had taken in consideration that I'd take art but I only like doing it as a hobby, I'm happy to expand my techniques but tags only if the art GCSE can help me in the future, thank you :smile:)
Original post by Meicai
I've chosen my options before the summer and I had taken in consideration that I'd take art but I only like doing it as a hobby, I'm happy to expand my techniques but tags only if the art GCSE can help me in the future, thank you :smile:)

Art was my favourite GCSE. It was my lowest grade - I spent too much time doing things I enjoyed instead of putting my efforts into understanding the curriculum and what examiners were looking for.

It is a great opportunity to learn new things, to experiment with different media/materials and to engage a completely different part of your brain to what you'll use in your other GCSEs. Having some time in your week devoted to practical skills and creativity will help you stay motivated in your other subjects.

Plus if it's something you enjoy then there's always a possibility of a career in a creative industry. The arts industries in the UK are one of the few areas of the economies still growing and creative careers are the most resistant to automation/replacement by AI (have a read of http://www.nesta.org.uk/sites/default/files/the_future_of_skills_employment_in_2030_0.pdf if you're interested in future careers/skills).

If you don't get a great grade then universities and employers won't hold that against you for non art based courses/jobs (just like getting a low grade in German GCSE wouldn't hold you back if you were applying for an Art degree of a graphic design job!).
Original post by Meicai

Of course it's good for a career in art, but really, GCSE choices don't matter much apart from getting into the A-level courses you want. Just bear in mind that at least according to my friends who did it, the workload for Art GCSE is very heavy.

Quick Reply

Latest