At what point do you feel like an adult? Watch

Slowbro93
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
So I'm 24, just starting my 3rd year of my PhD, and want to go into academia. Yet, compared to my colleagues and current peers I don't feel like I'm any more of an adult, and actually feel like a child. Those around me are either in committees relationships, bought their own house or are even married.

Whilst I don't think these things should be a factor of being more adult, do they really? And if not, what point do you feel like an adult?
Paracosm
  • Section Leader
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Take it from me SB, you appear very adult to me! You shouldn't compare yourself to your peers because it's not always a good way to evaluate yourself. The most important thing is: are you comfortable in yourself and what you're doing? Do you feel happy in the way you're acting? If the answers to those are yes, then just keep doing that. Just be yourself, forcing what is seen as stereotypically 'adult' might be really boring, who wants that? :hmmm:

You're a cool dude, don't sweat it. You're doing just fine!

I felt like an adult earlier today, I spoke to someone about health insurance and income tax! :laugh:
cheesecakelove
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It depends on how you define being an adult. Even though those with children or in relationships still act "childish". You can also define adult as being someone who is ambitious and on track with their career ambitions, such as yourself!
ArcaneMists
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It never happens, at some point you will realise you are old.
UWS
  • Very Important Poster
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
When you talk to people and say "back in my day".
Rum Ham
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
When I have to call up for a doctors appointment myself because my mum won't do it for me

Posted from TSR Mobile
King Leonidas
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Nothing makes me feel more adult than being out of breath, and on the verge of collapsing after climbing a floor of stairs lol.
04MR17
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's all about perspective.

Adulthood legally begins at 18. There are some restrictions still in place until 19, and I think further laws for people under 21. There's also a lot you can do after the age of 16.

How adult you "feel" usually compares to the people around you.

I feel like a spring chicken when I'm talking to Doonesbury; but slightly ancient when talking to laurawatt. It's all relative.
laurawatt
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by 04MR17)
It's all about perspective.

Adulthood legally begins at 18. There are some restrictions still in place until 19, and I think further laws for people under 21. There's also a lot you can do after the age of 16.

How adult you "feel" usually compares to the people around you.

I feel like a spring chicken when I'm talking to Doonesbury; but slightly ancient when talking to laurawatt. It's all relative.
I'm not that much younger than you...
It's****ingWOODY
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I didn't feel like an adult until I passed my driving test at 22 years of age. I was doing all the other things adults were doing - I'd done my A Levels, I was working, paying my mum keep, buying my own clothes and personal belongings, clubbing, drinking, shagging, and all that, but I still didn't feel totally independent and like an adult until I truly was independent after getting my licence, I guess.
04MR17
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by laurawatt)
I'm not that much younger than you...
That's what you think...:rolleyes:

You age with stress, trust me.:sadnod:
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If by adult you mean feeling old, giving my nephew things from when I was growing up and watching him try to figure out how to use them never fails in achieving that goal.
FakeNewsEditor
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I feel you bro (get it?).

I think academia makes you feel younger than you are 'cos you're surrounded by students and young people.

(Original post by King Leonidas)
Nothing makes me feel more adult than being out of breath, and on the verge of collapsing after climbing a floor of stairs lol.
Unless you're like 70, that's more to do with your lifestyle than your age.
arminvanpite
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I live with my partner who I've been with for five years and engaged to for two, I have a good job which holds a lot of responsibility, I have a car and pay all my bills, I've had to make some really grown up decisions, I've been abroad and on long road trips, I / we manage to keep our cat alive and happy... yet I still don't feel like an adult. Infact, in some ways, my personality is quite childlike - I love LEGO, robots, dinosaurs, animated films, etc. I think, if you can do all the things that you need to, to live a successful adult life, then it doesn't matter if you feel like a grown up or not. It probably helps not to, for your sanity! Who wants to live a life where the things that excite you the most are putting on a wash or emptying the dishwasher? Just be you.
Nerry
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
when you feel like telling off kids for being too noisy
AmeliaLost
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I've been living on my own for ten years, have tons of experience in a bunch of things, and I feel like an independent vaguely responsible person, but I don't think I'll ever feel like an "adult". Looks boring tbh
Retired_Messiah
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Allegedly you never do.
Vixen47
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
For me it was when I stopped indulging in my emotions. I've learned to shut down my emotions so much so that I now wish I could cry. By doing this, I've realised just how weak emotions make people so everyone's become my *****. As a result I'm Game of Thronesing it through life and I'm always on the winning team. This definitely makes me feel like an adult because I finally have a huge amount of control over people and situations. That's something I never had before.
King Leonidas
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by FakeNewsEditor)
I feel you bro (get it?).

I think academia makes you feel younger than you are 'cos you're surrounded by students and young people.

Unless you're like 70, that's more to do with your lifestyle than your age.
T'was a joke, I was implying that you're only as old as you make:holmes:
AmeliaLost
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Vixen47)
For me it was when I stopped indulging in my emotions. I've learned to shut down my emotions so much so that I now wish I could cry. By doing this, I've realised just how weak emotions make people so everyone's become my *****. As a result I'm Game of Thronesing it through life and I'm always on the winning team. This definitely makes me feel like an adult because I finally have a huge amount of control over people and situations. That's something I never had before.
I see Machiavelli is back from the dead.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (74)
27.61%
No (194)
72.39%

Watched Threads