The Student Room Group

At what point do you feel like an adult?

So I'm 24, just starting my 3rd year of my PhD, and want to go into academia. Yet, compared to my colleagues and current peers I don't feel like I'm any more of an adult, and actually feel like a child. Those around me are either in committees relationships, bought their own house or are even married.

Whilst I don't think these things should be a factor of being more adult, do they really? And if not, what point do you feel like an adult?

Scroll to see replies

Take it from me SB, you appear very adult to me! You shouldn't compare yourself to your peers because it's not always a good way to evaluate yourself. The most important thing is: are you comfortable in yourself and what you're doing? Do you feel happy in the way you're acting? If the answers to those are yes, then just keep doing that. Just be yourself, forcing what is seen as stereotypically 'adult' might be really boring, who wants that? :hmmm:

You're a cool dude, don't sweat it. You're doing just fine!

I felt like an adult earlier today, I spoke to someone about health insurance and income tax! :laugh:
(edited 6 years ago)
It depends on how you define being an adult. Even though those with children or in relationships still act "childish". You can also define adult as being someone who is ambitious and on track with their career ambitions, such as yourself!
It never happens, at some point you will realise you are old.
Reply 4
When you talk to people and say "back in my day".
Reply 5
When I have to call up for a doctors appointment myself because my mum won't do it for me :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nothing makes me feel more adult than being out of breath, and on the verge of collapsing after climbing a floor of stairs lol.
It's all about perspective.

Adulthood legally begins at 18. There are some restrictions still in place until 19, and I think further laws for people under 21. There's also a lot you can do after the age of 16.

How adult you "feel" usually compares to the people around you.

I feel like a spring chicken when I'm talking to @Doonesbury; but slightly ancient when talking to @laurawatt. It's all relative.:smile:
Original post by 04MR17
It's all about perspective.

Adulthood legally begins at 18. There are some restrictions still in place until 19, and I think further laws for people under 21. There's also a lot you can do after the age of 16.

How adult you "feel" usually compares to the people around you.

I feel like a spring chicken when I'm talking to @Doonesbury; but slightly ancient when talking to @laurawatt. It's all relative.

:biggrin: I'm not that much younger than you...
I didn't feel like an adult until I passed my driving test at 22 years of age. I was doing all the other things adults were doing - I'd done my A Levels, I was working, paying my mum keep, buying my own clothes and personal belongings, clubbing, drinking, shagging, and all that, but I still didn't feel totally independent and like an adult until I truly was independent after getting my licence, I guess.
Original post by laurawatt
:biggrin: I'm not that much younger than you...
That's what you think...:rolleyes:

You age with stress, trust me.:sadnod:
If by adult you mean feeling old, giving my nephew things from when I was growing up and watching him try to figure out how to use them never fails in achieving that goal.
I live with my partner who I've been with for five years and engaged to for two, I have a good job which holds a lot of responsibility, I have a car and pay all my bills, I've had to make some really grown up decisions, I've been abroad and on long road trips, I / we manage to keep our cat alive and happy... yet I still don't feel like an adult. Infact, in some ways, my personality is quite childlike - I love LEGO, robots, dinosaurs, animated films, etc. I think, if you can do all the things that you need to, to live a successful adult life, then it doesn't matter if you feel like a grown up or not. It probably helps not to, for your sanity! Who wants to live a life where the things that excite you the most are putting on a wash or emptying the dishwasher? Just be you.
Reply 13
when you feel like telling off kids for being too noisy
I've been living on my own for ten years, have tons of experience in a bunch of things, and I feel like an independent vaguely responsible person, but I don't think I'll ever feel like an "adult". Looks boring tbh
Allegedly you never do.
For me it was when I stopped indulging in my emotions. I've learned to shut down my emotions so much so that I now wish I could cry. By doing this, I've realised just how weak emotions make people so everyone's become my *****. As a result I'm Game of Thronesing it through life and I'm always on the winning team. This definitely makes me feel like an adult because I finally have a huge amount of control over people and situations. That's something I never had before.
T'was a joke, I was implying that you're only as old as you make:holmes:
Original post by Vixen47
For me it was when I stopped indulging in my emotions. I've learned to shut down my emotions so much so that I now wish I could cry. By doing this, I've realised just how weak emotions make people so everyone's become my *****. As a result I'm Game of Thronesing it through life and I'm always on the winning team. This definitely makes me feel like an adult because I finally have a huge amount of control over people and situations. That's something I never had before.

I see Machiavelli is back from the dead.
As I work in a university student bar, I played Wonderwall the other day from YouTube and they all looked at me in astonishment as I sung along. "Wonder-who?" they asked.

This is when your age hits you.

Quick Reply

Latest