Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

can i study chemical engineering without Maths and is their an alternative way? Watch

ReputationRep:
    So basically i always wanted to study chemical engineering but start of sixth form i decided that i wanted to study neurosciene but then i came to chemical engineering im in my finale year and its really bugging me i regret the fact that i did not take maths, the a levels im studying is CHEMISTRY, BIOLOGY and PSYCHOLOGY is there any way of me studying without maths.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fa123123)
    So basically i always wanted to study chemical engineering but start of sixth form i decided that i wanted to study neurosciene but then i came to chemical engineering im in my finale year and its really bugging me i regret the fact that i did not take maths, the a levels im studying is CHEMISTRY, BIOLOGY and PSYCHOLOGY is there any way of me studying without maths.
    Maths to A-level or equivalent is fundamental to studying engineering. Is it possible for you to take up the subject? A foundation year is another option.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    Maths to A-level or equivalent is fundamental to studying engineering. Is it possible for you to take up the subject? A foundation year is another option.
    Can you recommend me any universites that do foundation year? really wanted to go imperial but they do not do it.

ReputationRep:
    Notts uni does a foundation course where you can go onto study chemical engineering after completing it
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Can you recommend me any universites that do foundation year? really wanted to go imperial but they do not do it.
    I don't know much about foundation years I am afraid.

ReputationRep:
    Not without A-level maths no. There is a reason they expect you to have it, you would really struggle without (take it from a chemical engineering student). On the plus side several unis offer foundation years for those who want to study chem eng and don't have maths (manchester, nottingham, Birmingham, Aston etc). It's only an extra year and usually flies by.

ReputationRep:
    Go through the list of universities that offer chemical engineering and then search their websites for foundation years (they're usually integrated into the degree). Apply where you think you would be best suited and have met their entry requirements.

ReputationRep:
    Imperial won't let you do any engineering without maths whatsoever. full stop.

as mentioned previously, go on UCAS and search for foundation courses.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Southampton does foundation. Imperial is really strict. they even ask for certain modules in maths. so your chances at imperial is probably zero unless you take a year out to do maths a level which is quite possible.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.