The Student Room Group

Warning: Kogan Academy of Dramatic Arts

This is just a post to warn people that are contemplating attending the school.

It was the worst experience of my life. Wouldn't give them 1 star if I could. I had a year of being miserable, lost my confidence, was the loneliest I've ever been not to mention all my financial struggles which this school couldn't seem to take into consideration. If it doesn't work around them or in their favour then it won't work at all. Not worth the £11,000 at all. Please don't fall for their false promises on their website, the only thing they offer is pure manipulation and disappointments. If you want to know the theory, read the book and save yourself the time and money.

They aren't an accredited drama school anymore so you won't get a BA or funding for them. This is because they are in a financial mess with no one qualified enough to run a drama school and also due to lack of students. In my year alone, 20 students started and by the 2nd year only 6 remained. It's been like this for years, I only wish I knew before I joined.

When Sam Kogan was alive and teaching the school might have made sense and was probably a lot better then but now its falling apart and Sam's theory and memory is being lost in the cracks. I just wanted to learn about acting but I've only been left with "background noise" and the feeling that I'll never be good enough (not just in acting but as a person in general). But at least I'm no longer scared of them.

Anyone else had a similar experience?
Reply 1
Yes! I did! You poor thing, I really feel for you because I know what you have been through. Extremely manipulative, irresponsible teachers (with few exceptions), who appeared to gaslight the students without considering the consequences of the things they were saying or their behaviour. The hubris of the staff was, at times, breath-taking; they seemed to think that they had found the key to life. All their assertions about a better quality of life/better acting if you followed the technique were juxtaposed with the fact that the school was failing and no graduates ever seemed to get agents or have any success getting paid acting work. The attitude of those running the school versus the reality of the school's situation was baffling. Sadly, some graduates seemed to adopt the same stubborn arrogance that the school was some kind of mecca of the acting world, and anyone who didn't love it just
I qualified with them in 2017, before the school hit hard times and lost its accreditation. I've had an agent since 2018 and am doing my second bit of TV, with various commercials and short films under my belt. I was very happy with the level of training I received. Not to say that there weren't tough times, a lot of soul-searching and tears, but it was worth it. I'm sorry for the above's experiences. Drama school is very expensive and involves a lot of commitment but when the school itself is going through tough times, like many have recently, students bear the brunt.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending