The Student Room Group

Should I do a Geography degree?

So i'm currently doing my AS and i've chosen to do Geography, Business, and English Lit.

All this time I thought I wanted to do a degree in business (i've been looking into the International Business courses in universities), but now that i think about it, I'd much rather do a Geography degree since I enjoy geo way more and i grasp the concept of geo a lot better and quicker (especially Human Geography). I just genuinely like it in general.

On the other hand, my parents want me to go down the Business path (which i was fine with) but i personally feel like i wouldn't particularly enjoy it that much. They think by having a business degree, it would mean i'd have a wide range of options when it comes to finding a job (which is true though). im also not looking forward to do the maths - most universities don't ask for Maths A Level, they only ask for at least a B in GCSE Maths (which I got), but i know i'd have to take some maths modules.

Can anyone please help me? I really dont know what I should do in uni. What jobs can you get into with a geography degree & are they well-paid? ( and no i dont wanna be a teacher lol)
Original post by mozaregita
So i'm currently doing my AS and i've chosen to do Geography, Business, and English Lit.

All this time I thought I wanted to do a degree in business (i've been looking into the International Business courses in universities), but now that i think about it, I'd much rather do a Geography degree since I enjoy geo way more and i grasp the concept of geo a lot better and quicker (especially Human Geography). I just genuinely like it in general.

On the other hand, my parents want me to go down the Business path (which i was fine with) but i personally feel like i wouldn't particularly enjoy it that much. They think by having a business degree, it would mean i'd have a wide range of options when it comes to finding a job (which is true though). im also not looking forward to do the maths - most universities don't ask for Maths A Level, they only ask for at least a B in GCSE Maths (which I got), but i know i'd have to take some maths modules.

Can anyone please help me? I really dont know what I should do in uni. What jobs can you get into with a geography degree & are they well-paid? ( and no i dont wanna be a teacher lol)
Choose your degree based on your ideal job, not the other way around. What is your dream job?
Original post by mozaregita

Have you thought about something like Geography and environmental management? I just googled and there are courses that combine Geography and business management. Personally, looking at career prospects especially if you don't want to be a teacher or go into academic research, I would look at a combination degree. The environment is a worldwide issue and my son just finished his Geo and environmental degree and studied a module that touched on resource management etc. Take it from somebody who was stuck in a job they hated for 27 years and was "persuaded" by parents not to study what they wanted to, study something you enjoy as it makes it a lot easier and don't focus on heading into a career just because it's well paid! Money aint everything and you spend a lot of your life at work!
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
I'm going to do a geography degree at Uni next year (hopefully lol) and I'd say if you are finding Geography more enjoyable right now, and understanding it better, you will evidently do better at it in the exams. I would do a geography degree if I were you - it sounds like you have more of a passion for it, and your parents can't choose your degree for you, I am sure they will understand.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending