The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by calsmith12
It's not, engineering salaries are only getting higher due to the shortage of skilled workers in the sector.

There's higher demand for skilled engineers with years of relevant experience though. Not people fresh out of uni.

As I said the only jobs where fresh grads are basically never affected is hospital related stuff. Atm teachers have it good too tbh.
Original post by calsmith12
Engineering will never suffer, good rule of thumb.

I'm not convinced. Manufacturing in terms of output has risen, but it tends to be low volume high value output. The sort of engineering we like to think of, i.e. burly men making widgets with sledge hammers has been on the decline for years. If we have a hard Brexit, that will likely tip many engineering firms over the bring as they will not be able to compete with import / export tarrifs our European competitors won't have to pay.

The risk for the high value firms is that uncertainty about residency will likely put off high skill migrants and with that companies will struggle to recruit the talent they need.

If one thing is uncertain - it is engineering.

To answer the OP though. High demand jobs will be the ones we don't really want to do. Cleaners, fruit pickers, hotelier / waiting staff and other low paid work will see a demand for staff. However, because the economy is on a go-slow right now and those with money are not prepared to pay more for their services, I don't see wages going up any time soon.
(edited 6 years ago)
One would think Job Centre workers will be in short supply as thousands lose jobs to Brexit and have to go on the dole. Therefore the government will be forced to open many more job centres
Removal firms will be in demand for ferrying European households back to Europe.
You still missed the skill required, by native chefs that no Briton can match. Nativity is a key to learn authentication. Native language teachers, would be a lot better than teaching your kids from a Briton and vice versa.We need to understand that professional cultural exchange is essential for further development
Original post by POLITICSHJ
Deffo construction.

Nope, the construction industry has already few giants dominating the UK with enough monopolies running around. The UK government have always had a problem getting to work with them since they control a lot of what is going around, setting the prices up or down.
A shortage means wages rise?
Then surely daffodil pickers wages will rise to the point where the job becomes more attractive if Europeans staff go home.
Reply 27
Street beggar, most likely.

Latest

Trending

Trending