The Student Room Group

Career options

I’m a seventeen year old who has been completing work experience at various firms in finance/professional services and before I was quite keen on working in that industry due to the high pay and what I thought of as a fairly low demand career compared to other routes such as doctor etc.

But after completing work experience I’ve realised I absolutely hate the hustle culture in these companies where employees work past the 9-5 day. Is it unreasonable to expect an 8 hour job in these sectors as it was the norm at the companies I saw.

On that note, what career paths can guarantee a simple 9-5 with no work calls or commitments outside these hours?
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 1
Basically yes - you cant expect/ count on an 8 hour day in those fields especially in jobs which pay high salaries. Some people do work those hours for sure but you need to luck out a bit.

Perhaps civil service for regular hours?
Original post by na258916
I’m a seventeen year old who has been completing work experience at various firms in finance/professional services and before I was quite keen on working in that industry due to the high pay and what I thought of as a fairly low demand career compared to other routes such as doctor etc.

But after completing work experience I’ve realised I absolutely hate the hustle culture in these companies where employees work past the 9-5 day. Is it unreasonable to expect an 8 hour job in these sectors as it was the norm at the companies I saw.

On that note, what career paths can guarantee a simple 9-5 with no work calls or commitments outside these hours?

Loads of jobs can give you a 9-5 lifestyle, but they won't be high paying. It's basic economics, employers will pay for more work. But if you want basic 9-5, the price is a basic salary.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending