The Student Room Group

Economics vs law vs Accounting and finance

which degree is better in terms of job prospects and job security as well as salary? If I was to do law it would be at KCL, UCL, Warwick or York. accounting and finance/economics would be at Manchester, Birmingham, Leeds or Lancaster.
Economics over accounting and finance - better salary (on average) and more prospects.

Law is a mixed bag. Salaries can be huge at the top firms but it's competitive and some trainee salaries are pretty low so you'd need to work your way up.
Original post by J-SP
On average Economics come out top of the three in terms of earning potential. But there’s plenty of Economics graduates from the universities you mentioned earning below average salaries and who are unemployed.

There is no measure to suggest which would give then better job security.

The employment rate is quite high from what I've seen for economics and accounting and finance.
Original post by J-SP
Employment rate says nothing about job security though and is flawed in many different ways as a measure anyway.

In what ways? Could this argument not be applied to other degrees? If it is flawed how can you truly measure the employment rate?
Original post by J-SP
Yes could be equally of other degrees.

But the ways in which employment is defined is questionable and the measure is only measured on one day, typically 6 months after graduation (will go up to 18 months).

You can’t truly measure the employment rate though.

Would this idea not render your point of unemployment in economics false?
Original post by J-SP
Not if I am not using that specific data as evidence

What is the evidence that you've based this point on?
Original post by bkr32
which degree is better in terms of job prospects and job security as well as salary? If I was to do law it would be at KCL, UCL, Warwick or York. accounting and finance/economics would be at Manchester, Birmingham, Leeds or Lancaster.

they can all lead to high paying jobs (hell, all of them can lead to the exact same jobs tbh). or they can lead to unemployment. chose the degree you actually can be assed going to lectures for and studying for in your spare time.

what will really determine whether you end up in a good job or not is how you spend your non-academic time at uni - not what course you do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending