The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

God i could scream! lol. Theres too much to remember!
[QUOTE='[mellifluous]']Well I wasn't meaning to be really critical, which I realise my post sounded! Sorry!

Basically, I thought 'gaining charge' wasn't the best terminology because you don't specify whether the gain in charge is positive or negative. If I was an examiner and you had written 'reduction is a gain in charge', it is doubtful whether you really understand unless you go on to say 'by losing negative electrons' or something similar. After all it would be possible for something neutral to 'gain charge' by having an electron added to it - it would become negative - and this is most certainly not reduction.

I hope this clears up my thinking!
xxx

Ok, thanks for such a nice post :P
Please :frown: ... does anyone know the answers to my questions? I would be so grateful!!!

Take Care, thanks -TSB
TheBiologyStudent
Sorry to keep posting but i have 4 more questions i'd like to ask.

1) Why does the molecule HOCL have the same bond shape and angles as Water? So it is V-Shaped and has 104.5 degree angle but how do we know this?:

Because the oxygen atom has four pairs of electrons that adopt a (slightly distorted) tetrahedral orientation, only two pairs of which are used in bonding.

TheBiologyStudent
2) In terms of halogens i don't understand this equation:
Cl2 + 2Br- -->2Cl- +Br2 Why is it on the left the ion is Br-? and the same for chlorine Cl-? Are these the ions? I don't get it lol.:

Yes, these are the ions that are present in the solution

TheBiologyStudent
3)Why in this: Cl2 + 2OH- --> OCl- + Cl- +H20 = why is OCl- oxidised to form +1? and why is Cl- reduced to form -1?

This is an example of a reaction type called disproportionation, otherwise known as simultaneous oxidation and reduction. The chlorine atoms get both oxidised and reduced in the reaction. Just accept that it can happen.

TheBiologyStudent
4) Why in Ca(OH)2 is the electronic configuration - 1s2, 2s2, 2p6, 3s2, 3p6 - i thought u added Ca+(O+H) x2 electrons together to give electronic config?

The calcium is present as an ion, Ca2+ therefore it has already lost its two outer electrons. Metals invariably form ionic compounds in which they are present as ions with a stable electronic configuration. In the main group metals this means that the outer shell is empty.

Latest