The Student Room Group

should I take sociology??

I've decided to take English Literature & Language and French at A-Level and I'd like to take Sociology as well but I'm not sure.

Those are the only subjects I'm properly interested in, and if I didn't take Sociology it'd probably be Maths- while I don't completely hate Maths, I'm not sure if I'd enjoy it at A-Level? It also seems really difficult; although I'm in top set Maths I tend to struggle with the harder tasks, especially ones which used to be part of A-Level but have been moved down.

Surely it's better to take the 3 subjects I am the most comfortable with and get (hopefully!) high grades? I'd like to go to a Russell group university to study English Literature and then Creative Writing if possible; would my current choices negatively impact that?

Any help is greatly appreciated! (and sorry if I've missed out any relevant information, just tell me!)
Original post by penguinstar
I've decided to take English Literature & Language and French at A-Level and I'd like to take Sociology as well but I'm not sure.

Those are the only subjects I'm properly interested in, and if I didn't take Sociology it'd probably be Maths- while I don't completely hate Maths, I'm not sure if I'd enjoy it at A-Level? It also seems really difficult; although I'm in top set Maths I tend to struggle with the harder tasks, especially ones which used to be part of A-Level but have been moved down.

Surely it's better to take the 3 subjects I am the most comfortable with and get (hopefully!) high grades? I'd like to go to a Russell group university to study English Literature and then Creative Writing if possible; would my current choices negatively impact that?

Any help is greatly appreciated! (and sorry if I've missed out any relevant information, just tell me!)

Sociology is on the approved list for all RG universities. Even Cambridge are happy to accept it for arts and humanities courses. If you think it’s interesting and that you’ll do well in it then it’s a good choice.

Quick Reply

Latest