The Student Room Group

Software engineering

Hi, slight reiteration of an older post but more concise (i guess)

deciding to do software engineering, right now I'm currently doing:

Higher Physics
Higher Chemistry (resit)
Advanced Higher Maths
Advanced Higher English

kind of regret not taking computing instead of AH English esp since it's not very relevant but I can't back out now (plus I find it quite enjoyable) I also looked at all my choices and none of them stated that Higher computing was essential, the essential subjects were maths and one of them was maths and physics.

Last year I got ABBCD (the fail being chemistry which was a huge shock)
Most entry requirements are AABB/ABBB/BBBB for my chosen courses, but i have a few questions if anyone can answer:

- Will my fail in chemistry and subsequent resit negatively affect my chances of getting accepted, even if I'm predicted an A?

-Will AH English be seen as an irrelevant subject, will it be worth anything in the end?

-If I have my Higher maths at B and get a C in Advanced Higher, will that also negatively affect my chances?

-Should I take up independent study of basic computing? (I have already, I have found various websites that teach basic coding for free, just wondering if it's any use as I'd be learning it at uni,)

-My grades miss the margin at the very moment, for when I'm applying (before Jan 15 2018,) If my predicted grades hold up, will I be okay, essentially?

-What with my grades, will I stand a chance against other applicants? i.e, is software engineering a particularly competitive course?

I really want to get into uni and do these courses, I love maths for it's challenge and I'd love to get into coding and computing and what not. If you reply to any of these questions thank you very much :smile:

thanks

Quick Reply

Latest