The Student Room Group

Oxford Physics: PAT test discussion

Today was the test date for the PAT. I practised at least 8 past papers and they were all manageable (probably around 70-80%). However, I personally found this test impossible. (probably the hardest thing I've done and will ever do. What about you guys?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Justaskingreally
Today was the test date for the PAT. I practised at least 8 past papers and they were all manageable (probably around 70-80%). However, I personally found this test impossible. (probably the hardest thing I've done and will ever do. What about you guys?

CA Reminder: Please remember the rules of discussion for these tests (https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4934792)
Reply 2
I thought it was awful but maybe that's just me
I heard people cursing doing the exam and after (seriously). I think all the past papers including the speciman are just lies, waste my time doing them lol. Their level of difficulty can never compare to this year's
Original post by alkewley
I thought it was awful but maybe that's just me

you are not the only one believe me
That's exactly how I felt
Reply 6
If everyone says it was bad I'll feel so much better
I was the exact same. I attempted every past paper from 2006 to 2016 and generally found them okay with the exception of a few awkward questions, but I feel 2017 paper was just on a whole other level.
What percentage do you think you guys got?
Reply 9
I've done LOADS of physics Olympiad questions and some of the questions of the paper were downright ridiculous.

[mod edit: do not discuss specifics please]
(edited 6 years ago)
I made a stupuidly ridiculous mistake regarding [mod deleted - do not discuss specific questions] What annoys me is I realised this mistake immediatly after I left the exam room. The answer is a lovely number in the end, but I really messed up the exam. The math was nice tho..
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by OllieeTownsend
What percentage do you think you guys got?

To be honest... 30-50%
Did anybody solve the very last question?
Reply 13
Original post by Parhomus
I've done LOADS of physics Olympiad questions and some of the questions of the paper were downright ridiculous.

No discussion of question specifics please.
Think I got almost all the multiple choice correct along with some of the longer ones. And then bits and bobs of the 9 markers.

[mod deleted - do not discuss specific questions]

Granted I am currently dealing with medica extenuating circumstances and should probably communicate this to my college! Probably about 50-60%? Although I am usually quite harsh on myself..
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Justaskingreally

Difficult paper couldn't say if it was easier or harder than past ones because I 'forgot to revise'.
I knew how to plot [mod deleted - do not discuss specific questions] (mainly cause I took the COMPLETE CIE A-level physics) however [mod deleted - do not discuss specific questions] (Made no sense to be honest) whoever set this question is a monster. For the last question [mod deleted - do not discuss specific questions] however I believe I have misinterpreted the question so yeah.
(edited 6 years ago)
Parhomus
Electric-man7
Jeez guys - do you want your competitors to know what came up before they take the exam?
Reply 18
Original post by Electric-man7
I made a stupuidly ridiculous mistake regarding [mod deleted - do not discuss specific questions] What annoys me is I realised this mistake immediatly after I left the exam room. The answer is a lovely number in the end, but I really messed up the exam. The math was nice tho..

Original post by Parhomus
Think I got almost all the multiple choice correct along with some of the longer ones. And then bits and bobs of the 9 markers.

[mod deleted - do not discuss specific questions]

Granted I am currently dealing with medica extenuating circumstances and should probably communicate this to my college! Probably about 50-60%? Although I am usually quite harsh on myself..

Original post by Electric-man7
I knew how to plot [mod deleted - do not discuss specific questions] (mainly cause I took the COMPLETE CIE A-level physics) however [mod deleted - do not discuss specific questions] (Made no sense to be honest) whoever set this question is a monster. For the last question I got [mod deleted - do not discuss specific questions], however I believe I have misinterpreted the question so yeah.

Please. Do not discuss specific questions!
(edited 6 years ago)
The paper was dreadful. I came out of it close to tears if I'll be honest... Hardest paper I have ever done!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending