The Student Room Group

How do I revise for English Lang

I’ve been struggling to find good revision techniques for my subject and was just wondering if anyone could give me any tips/advice, thanks. (A-level)
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
Are you at gcse level or..?
Reply 2
A level
Reply 3
Original post by AdamD2017
I’ve been struggling to find good revision techniques for my subject and was just wondering if anyone could give me any tips/advice, thanks. (A-level)

It depends what aspects you're the weakest at. I would recommend thoroughly revising theories, maybe through flashcards or making academic posters - perhaps even watching videos (I know David Crystal has a few).

If you struggle structuring and writing the essays, you should write as many as you can for revision. Remember - practice makes perfect :tongue: For 'meaning and representations' sort of questions, you could print off basically any webpage and annotate it as much as you can to milk all of the meanings, reps & key terms.
Reply 4
Have you seen Mr Bruff on YouTube. He has lots o videos on GCSE & A-Level English Language & Literature.
Reply 5
Thank you. Will check him out.
Original post by AdamD2017

Imo you should just learn one or two theories each day (for paper 1 section 2 and paper 2 section 1), eventually you'll know more than enough to answer a wide variety of questions (also try to learn a few case studies especially for CLA as you know this will 100% come up)

And for paper 1 section 1 and paper 2 section 2 you really just need to practice annotating and writing exam questions until you get to a point where you are confident.Also use the mark scheme to make sure your points are level 4/5 and also ask your teacher if she can mark your essays

For the creative writing task just try and find some good articles to read whilst also practising a bit (also need to know theories for this)

It isn't too difficult to get a good grade in English if you hit the right points in your essays (to do this make sure you read the mark schemes and highlight what they ask for)

That's my advice for AQA EL btw so if you're using another exam board it might be slightly different
Reply 7
Thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending