The Student Room Group

Dentistry or Medicine

Is it easier to get into the dentistry course or the medicine course at university??
Don't go for dentistry simply because it's easier, you are capable of getting into medicine
Original post by liquidconfidence
Don't go for dentistry simply because it's easier, you are capable of getting into medicine

Why not? Iv'e always dreamed to be a dentist, not do medicine. Why is it that dentistry want more 7's at GCSE, but medicine wants few. Also, medicine accepts courses like EPQ, critical thinking and citizenship, but dentistry don't want this. Is medicine a more "rewarding" career than dentistry, or the opposite??
Original post by ReadilySalted
Why not? Iv'e always dreamed to be a dentist, not do medicine. Why is it that dentistry want more 7's at GCSE, but medicine wants few. Also, medicine accepts courses like EPQ, critical thinking and citizenship, but dentistry don't want this. Is medicine a more "rewarding" career than dentistry, or the opposite??

Ok chill.
Do what you want no ones forcing you, sounds like you already have the answer.
If you want to do dentistry then do dentistry, if you want to study medicine do medicine
(edited 6 years ago)

Dentisry is actually more competitive than Medicine because there are fewer Universities that offer it. You choosing between them really has to be completely your choice. Try and get some work expereince and see what environment you prefer and what role you can see yourself in. For example, when I went for my Dentistry work experience I really loved how you'd get to see a wide range of patients and completing loads of different procedures all in one day. However, I also learnt how draining that role is - You're seeing almost too many patients and the work is so demanding/important!

So basically go and do some work experience because that's where you're going to see what it's really like in the roles.
Original post by liquidconfidence
Ok chill.
Do what you want no ones forcing you, sounds like you already have the answer.
If you want to do dentistry then do dentistry, if you want to study medicine do medicine

Obviously no one is forcing me, it's my choice:giggle:. I want to become a dentist, but I wanted to know why medicine courses require less A's than dentistry requirements.
Original post by romansholiday
Dentisry is actually more competitive than Medicine because there are fewer Universities that offer it. You choosing between them really has to be completely your choice. Try and get some work expereince and see what environment you prefer and what role you can see yourself in. For example, when I went for my Dentistry work experience I really loved how you'd get to see a wide range of patients and completing loads of different procedures all in one day. However, I also learnt how draining that role is - You're seeing almost too many patients and the work is so demanding/important!

So basically go and do some work experience because that's where you're going to see what it's really like in the roles.

Okay thank you! Do you know how I could apply for work experiences. I am 16, so do I ring up my local dentist and ask if I could do work experience there??
Obviously no one is forcing me, it's my choice:giggle:. I want to become a dentist, but I wanted to know why medicine courses require less A's than dentistry requirements.

Medicine/Dentistry is pretty much AAA+ unless it is contextual btw.

Basically supply and demand. Med wages stagnated and hours worked increased. Dentistry hours are very reasonable in comparison.and your net salary is now pretty similar. There's somewhat of an equilibrium between the two subjects as many people are willing to do either and will just go for the easier one.
Original post by Appleorpear
Medicine/Dentistry is pretty much AAA+ unless it is contextual btw.

Basically supply and demand. Med wages stagnated and hours worked increased. Dentistry hours are very reasonable in comparison.and your net salary is now pretty similar. There's somewhat of an equilibrium between the two subjects as many people are willing to do either and will just go for the easier one.

Thank you, answered my question perfectly. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest