The Student Room Group

What car do you drive and how much do you spend on it?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Xopher_
2014 Corsa

Insurance £135pcm
Fuel (petrol) around £75-£110pcm
Tax £10pcm

I drive mostly for fun, hence why I go through more fuel. It's about £250 a month not including maintenance. probably put away £250-300 a year (depends on the car) for mot, service and problems, for example replacing wipers.

Insurance is so expensive for me because I've been driving for under a year. I've been looking at renewal quotes and they're around £85pcm.

What year and engine size if you don’t mind me asking?
Reply 21
Original post by gonelifting
Bought a 2nd hand vauxhall for £500 off ebay. It's lasted me 12 months so far. Tax is almost nil, insurance is peanuts. When it dies a death I'll shell out another 500, rinse and repeat. Not a bad outlay for ~2 years compared to all the mugs throwing away 200+ a month on a car that they'll never own. I spend what I save on fun stuff. The car is just to get you from A to B. Makes me laugh seeing all these people driving round on the school run etc in massive gas guzzling 4x4s that they're in debt for just to keep up with the Jones's. Get a workhorse off ebay/autotrader and go on holiday/out with your mates etc with all that cash you're saving. Life's for living - you can't take it all with you when you're 6 feet under!

That can be a good idea until you buy an absolute ****box that breaks down within a month, which will then cost you a grand in parts and labour or shelling another £500 on a car. Not to mention if you've bought annual insurance that is then useless and needing to fork out again
Not to say it can't be a good way of motoring on the cheap but it has its pitfalls
Also, I financed my car with a bank loan so I do technically own my car, it also gets me from A to B but with heated seats and cruise control :biggrin:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by storm95
What year and engine size if you don’t mind me asking?

1.2, the insurance is sad times
Original post by Xopher_
2014 Corsa

Insurance £135pcm
Fuel (petrol) around £75-£110pcm
Tax £10pcm

I drive mostly for fun, hence why I go through more fuel. It's about £250 a month not including maintenance. probably put away £250-300 a year (depends on the car) for mot, service and problems, for example replacing wipers.

Insurance is so expensive for me because I've been driving for under a year. I've been looking at renewal quotes and they're around £85pcm.

How old are you do you mind me asking. Insurance seems cheap for a first year driver on a Corsa
Original post by Fighter365
How old are you do you mind me asking. Insurance seems cheap for a first year driver on a Corsa

I turned 18 about a month ago, and I got insured the day I passed my test when I was 17. My quote was £1950 Including the finance for monthly payments. I got a £77 discount for my driving, but I paid £80 for extra mileage recently.

The reason it's quite cheap (not like £4000 like some people with the same car) is because of where I live :h:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Xopher_
I turned 18 about a month ago, and I got insured the day I passed my test when I was 17. My quote was £1950 Including the finance for monthly payments. I got a £77 discount for my driving, but I paid £80 for extra mileage recently.

The reason it's quite cheap (not like £4000 like some people with the same car) is because of where I live :h:

Wait where did you get the finance/insurance from did they come together
Wait where did you get the finance/insurance from did they come together

When you pay monthly installments, you are charged interest for borrowing money off them, which is why paying annually is cheaper IF you have the money spare.

The company I'm with is Ingenie, but next year it's probably going to be Admiral
Original post by Xopher_
When you pay monthly installments, you are charged interest for borrowing money off them, which is why paying annually is cheaper IF you have the money spare.

The company I'm with is Ingenie, but next year it's probably going to be Admiral

Okay yeah sorry I thought you were talking about car finance. How many miles do you do and do you have to pay to add more
Okay yeah sorry I thought you were talking about car finance. How many miles do you do and do you have to pay to add more

I do about 150-200 miles a week (like 70-100 of them is driving for fun). Initially my policy had 6000, but I upped it to 7200 for £80, which is ridiculous tbh.
Ford Ka Style +, 1.2 ltr, 3dr, bought with 19000 miles on the clock, 2009 reg (8 years old).
Cost £4500 so I pay that monthly through finance, which is roughly £100 a month.
Prices have gone up by me, but I spend roughly £30 fortnightly filling it up as it has good MPG and even better if you focus on driving well to save petrol and also keeping the tyres pumped. I do around 4000 miles a year.
Insurance with a black box came with a 25% discount and 30% discount the following year for good driving. It reduces yearly based on how I drive, but my insurance is roughly £1200 a year.
A service can cost about £120 and MOT costs about the same. Have had to pay close to £200 in maintenance work but those were small issues that came with the car.
Tax is like £20 a year. My old car was £120 a year.

Original post by storm95
im looking to purchase a car and unsure how much i want to set aside for it per month. this includes insurance, petrol, general maintenance

thanks!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Xopher_
I do about 150-200 miles a week (like 70-100 of them is driving for fun). Initially my policy had 6000, but I upped it to 7200 for £80, which is ridiculous tbh.

If you think that’s a lot we’ll I’ve read some reviews of smart wheels and other insurance companies which charge £300+ per 1000 miles
If you think that’s a lot we’ll I’ve read some reviews of smart wheels and other insurance companies which charge £300+ per 1000 miles

Dayummm
Fiat Punto 2003 - 34,000 miles £500 (got it from grandmas neighbour though)
2017 BMW M140i

Insurance is about £100 pm
Petrol can be anywhere between £100 and £200 pm depending on mileage (c25-30 mpg usually)
Tax c£15 pm
Tyres £50 pm (based on needing one full set of tyres per year, £150 per tyre)
Repaying my car loan at £330 pm
Cleaning maybe £10 pm
Servicing £7 pm (£250 every 3 years)

probably missed some stuff :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Toyota Aygo 1 litre engine

Paid £1500 for it and it’s all paid off now.

Spend around £40 a month on petrol, and I get some back on expenses from work.

Insurance is around £600-£800 per year and I usually try and pay it off in one instalment.

I spent £120 on a full service this year plus the annual MOT

Tax is about £20 if I remember correctly.

Probably another £100 yearly on things like new tyres and other maintenance.
Reply 36
'14 Mercedes E63 AMG

Hmm let's see.
No monthly repayment, purchased outright
Insurance: £1700/year (Modified car insurance, all modifications covered)
Petrol: Depends but let's say £140-210 a month. Only takes 98RON or above (Shell Vpower). Average 17MPG. 80ltr tank.
Road Tax: £520/year
Valeting: £60/mo+
Servicing: £37/mo
Warranty: £50/mo

Wearables / Replaceables
Front Tyres: £430 per set
Back Tyres: £556 per set (Michelin Pilot Super Sport)
Brake Pads: £200 front, £100 back
Brake Discs (front): £1400
Engine Oil: £60
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by AtheClassicMan
Don’t indirect me m8 if you feel like saying something then feel free to @ me. I have no problems with the running costs of my ‘gas guzzling’ 4x4 because : I can afford it , I didn’t just buy it for the sake of having car and I still have money to enjoy myself at any given time.

"M8" get over yourself, ha. I read the OP, not the thread. There's always one. Good for you, anyway....is that what you want me to say??
Original post by gonelifting
"M8" get over yourself, ha. I read the OP, not the thread. There's always one. Good for you, anyway....is that what you want me to say??

I find that hard to believe because teenagers don’t normally drive big cars and you said “Makes me laugh seeing all these people driving round on the school run etc in massive gas guzzling 4x4s” which wouldn’t make sense to just type without reading the thread.
Original post by AtheClassicMan
I find that hard to believe because teenagers don’t normally drive big cars and you said “Makes me laugh seeing all these people driving round on the school run etc in massive gas guzzling 4x4s” which wouldn’t make sense to just type without reading the thread.

I've no idea what you're on about. It's 7.02 in the morning and you're picking an argument with a stranger on the internet because your ego is so big that you see personal attacks where there are none, lol. Jog on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending