The Student Room Group

Change of direction at 35?

Hi,

First post for me to this site (not sure it even existed back when I first graduated in 2004).

I've previously graduated in English Lit & law and spent time working in many of the usual areas associated with those subjects (teaching, marketing, law firms, packing in warehouses...).

It's long been a source of regret to me (well, since I turned 30 at least) that I didn't study something more technical at University level and I'm now looking to rectify that. I have my old GCSEs and have also dabbled with some OU study (initial modules in Natural Science) and even completed/survived a Web Development 'bootcamp', so I'm not totally without tech/scientific knowledge. I'm really keen to see how far I can get with a scientific career at this stage in my life.

The options I'm considering (all with the OU as another full time undergrad course is a non-starter at this stage) are Engineering, Computer Science, and Maths/Physics joint honours.

Long term I'm looking to work in either a data role (have dabbled with Python/SQL and a few other bits and pieces) or as a technical writer/project manager (again, with a view to leveraging past experience).

What I'm really looking to find out is:
a) Which of these courses (Engineering/Comp Sci/Maths & Physics) would leave most doors open to me (esp. as I'll be around 40 when I finish);
b) Which of the subjects is likely to prove most challenging/interesting; and
c) Whether anyone has made/is making a success of a similar transition

Cheers
Original post by JanuaryKing
Hi,

First post for me to this site (not sure it even existed back when I first graduated in 2004).

I've previously graduated in English Lit & law and spent time working in many of the usual areas associated with those subjects (teaching, marketing, law firms, packing in warehouses...).

It's long been a source of regret to me (well, since I turned 30 at least) that I didn't study something more technical at University level and I'm now looking to rectify that. I have my old GCSEs and have also dabbled with some OU study (initial modules in Natural Science) and even completed/survived a Web Development 'bootcamp', so I'm not totally without tech/scientific knowledge. I'm really keen to see how far I can get with a scientific career at this stage in my life.

The options I'm considering (all with the OU as another full time undergrad course is a non-starter at this stage) are Engineering, Computer Science, and Maths/Physics joint honours.

Long term I'm looking to work in either a data role (have dabbled with Python/SQL and a few other bits and pieces) or as a technical writer/project manager (again, with a view to leveraging past experience).

What I'm really looking to find out is:
a) Which of these courses (Engineering/Comp Sci/Maths & Physics) would leave most doors open to me (esp. as I'll be around 40 when I finish);
b) Which of the subjects is likely to prove most challenging/interesting; and
c) Whether anyone has made/is making a success of a similar transition

Cheers

Given your interests I would say that computer science would likely be your best option. Maybe maths if you're really interested in data. I'm not sure since that's not my area, although as this is the engineering forum, nothing about your post really screams engineering.

I would probably make a post over in the Computer Science and IT forum, where you can hopefully get more advice on your specific interests.

Quick Reply

Latest