The Student Room Group

Blank lines?

Do we need to have blank lines to separate paragraphs of UCAS personal statement?
Original post by wallflower ~
Do we need to have blank lines to separate paragraphs of UCAS personal statement?

You would be well advised to do so, if you want your PS to be easily readable well-presented, and not give the admissions tutors a headache. It is the only way of clearly delineating paragraphs.
Original post by Good bloke
You would be well advised to do so, if you want your PS to be easily readable well-presented, and not give the admissions tutors a headache. It is the only way of clearly delineating paragraphs.

Would this considerably affect my chances of getting an offer? It's just that every bit in my personal statement fits together and I feel like it's missing something if I add blank lines (and take out sentences to do so).
Reply 3
Would this considerably affect my chances of getting an offer? It's just that every bit in my personal statement fits together and I feel like it's missing something if I add blank lines (and take out sentences to do so).

If the admissions tutor struggles to read it, then it doesn't matter how much lovely information there is - they might miss a vital bit. If you edit it and leave blank lines before sending, then you are in control of what bit the admissions tutor doesn't read. If you force them to try to read the whole thing then you don't know what they'll miss out.

I have not yet read a PS that wouldn't benefit from enough trimming to allow blank lines to be used between paragraphs, and I have read rather a lot.

Quick Reply

Latest