The Student Room Group

UCAS 47 lines Personal Statement

So - Parent here. I’m still finding my way round Student Room - but seeking any advice, experience of ensuring Personal Statement adheres to the 47 lines. If it is under the stipulated character & line count in a Word doc draft does that change (in terms of lines) once transferred to the UCAS form as seen a few worrying posts about formatting. Thank you 😊
Reply 1
Original post by ilovelemons
So - Parent here. I’m still finding my way round Student Room - but seeking any advice, experience of ensuring Personal Statement adheres to the 47 lines. If it is under the stipulated character & line count in a Word doc draft does that change (in terms of lines) once transferred to the UCAS form as seen a few worrying posts about formatting. Thank you 😊

Character count won't change, but line count will, as it will depend on how wide your window is in Word. However, as long as you don't include blank lines between paragraphs in UCAS, which is not required or recommend, you should be fine as you will hit the character limit before the line limit.
Original post by lalexm
Character count won't change, but line count will, as it will depend on how wide your window is in Word. However, as long as you don't include blank lines between paragraphs in UCAS, which is not required or recommend, you should be fine as you will hit the character limit before the line limit.

Leaving blank lines between paragraphs IS recommended

Aim for 3,200-3,400 characters for a PS that will fit within the line count comfortably including properly formatted paragraphs.
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
Leaving blank lines between paragraphs IS recommended

Really? I heard the opposite i.e that you start a new line to mark the end of paragraphs, but there was no need to add blank lines. In any case my daughter's PS was already at the character limit so she was not going to cut out content just to add in blank lines.

Her UCAS is submitted and she't already got a couple of offers, so I guess her PS is fine, although I guess it would have been the same if she cut a bit of content and added blank lines, so not one to worry about.
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by lalexm
Really? I heard the opposite i.e that you start a new line to mark the end of paragraphs, but there was no need to add blank lines. In any case my daughter's PS was already at the character limit so she was not going to cut out content just to add in blank lines.

A PS will be scan read in 1-2 minutes max in most cases (even where staff are using a PS to inform interview questions it won't be laboured over in detail). 4,000 characters takes on average 4-8 minutes to read thoroughly. Less is more.

Extra content doesn't improve the quality of a PS it makes it more difficult for admissions staff to quickly pick out important aspects in the available time. The benefits of rigorous editing and clear formatting greatly outweigh the benefits of cramming in 3-4 more sentences.
(edited 5 months ago)
You can compare how blank lines make a difference to the readability of a PS here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7276778&p=97727450#post97727450
Reply 7
Tips: Remove any line breaks from your Word document. When the universities view your personal statement, they will be viewing it as one large chunk anyway. Just because you have less than 4000 characters doesn't always guarantee that you are less than 47 lines. Also, I would say leave 30-50 characters to spare after you have finished a draft. Copy and paste this draft onto the UCAS form and it will then format it and tell you how many characters you are under/over.

The number of characters on a line vary from device to device so I find the only way to actually find out how many characters it is will be to paste it on the form itself. Also, each line is a character so make sure you account for this too.
Original post by vnayak
Tips: Remove any line breaks from your Word document. When the universities view your personal statement, they will be viewing it as one large chunk anyway.

As someone who works in admissions at a university I can assure you this is nonsense.
Line breaks and blank lines ARE preserved in the data sent to us by UCAS. See https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7276778&p=97727450#post97727450
Original post by lalexm
okay, you might be right, but she very happy with her PS and it's done now, so I'm not going to worry about it. Thanks.

It's unlikely to make the difference between an offer and a rejection (because that's not how PSs are generally used in admissions) - it's just a strong recommendation (particularly from the staff who spend 3 months solid reading these things :wink: we'd very much appreciate it if applicants made it easier to pick out important info :biggrin:
Reply 10
Original post by PQ
Aim for 3,200-3,400 characters for a PS that will fit within the line count comfortably including properly formatted paragraphs.

Thank you - when you say properly formatted paragraphs is that leaving a line between each?
Thank you - when you say properly formatted paragraphs is that leaving a line between each?

ideally yes
Reply 12
Original post by PQ
It's unlikely to make the difference between an offer and a rejection (because that's not how PSs are generally used in admissions) - it's just a strong recommendation (particularly from the staff who spend 3 months solid reading these things :wink: we'd very much appreciate it if applicants made it easier to pick out important info :biggrin:

Straight from the horse's mouth so can't argue with that. I would have advised my daughter differently had I come across this before, although not sure if she would have listened to me anyway as the teachers at her school did not flag it either during their reviews. Hopefully your life will get a little easier next year when they move from a PS to specif questions, but time will tell.
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 13
Original post by PQ
ideally yes

Thank you for all the guidance! Kind of wishing UK was like Australian system - get your grades then apply !
Reply 14
Thank you for all the guidance! Kind of wishing UK was like Australian system - get your grades then apply !

Having gone through it once with my first child and now with my second, the U.K. system is not too bad. As long as your predicted grades are achievable and not overly optimistic, the system of getting conditional offers works okay, although having said that I’ve not experienced another system to compare it to.
Reply 15

I got my PS to 4000 characters and 47 lines exactly on word document, but on UCAS, it came to 47 lines and about 4003 characters weirdly. Maybe it was the paragraph breaks being included on UCAS but not Word that gave the extra few characters. (I applied this year)
Reply 16
Original post by Ajtydeman
I got my PS to 4000 characters and 47 lines exactly on word document, but on UCAS, it came to 47 lines and about 4003 characters weirdly. Maybe it was the paragraph breaks being included on UCAS but not Word that gave the extra few characters. (I applied this year)

Thank you
Reply 17
Original post by PQ
ideally yes

Can Universities see all a students choices on UCAS ? Or do they only see that they are one of the choices?
Can Universities see all a students choices on UCAS ? Or do they only see that they are one of the choices?

Universities can’t see your other choices when they’re making a decision.

When an applicant replies to their offers in April-June then all universities can see an applicant’s other choices (so an insurance choice can see what the firm choice is and the offer conditions and vice versa)
Reply 19
Original post by PQ
Universities can’t see your other choices when they’re making a decision.

When an applicant replies to their offers in April-June then all universities can see an applicant’s other choices (so an insurance choice can see what the firm choice is and the offer conditions and vice versa)

Thank you so much ! You are super helpful 😊

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending