The Student Room Group

UCAS Personal Statement

How do you know how your personal statement will be formatted for universities to see? I was on 52 lines so I removed 5 by removing the massive gaps between paragraphs and I want to make sure it looks okay before its sent off. How do i do this? I cant see anyway through the UCAS page (ive tried preview etc but is that how they'll see it?)
Original post by Incrediblezed
How do you know how your personal statement will be formatted for universities to see? I was on 52 lines so I removed 5 by removing the massive gaps between paragraphs and I want to make sure it looks okay before its sent off. How do i do this? I cant see anyway through the UCAS page (ive tried preview etc but is that how they'll see it?)

Yes
If you copy and pasted it into the UCAS personal statement area, saved it, and viewed your application - that is how it will look.
What do you mean by gaps between paragraphs…
Like this: https://bleach.fandom.com/wiki/Zanpakut%C5%8D

From
‘A wielder knows their Zanpakutō spirit very closely and vice versa. The connection is very deep, though in the beginning the connection is one sided, with the wielder being unable to fully hear the spirit communicating with them.[48] It is not uncommon for the introduction of the Shinigami and Zanpakutō spirit to take place in the Shinigami's "inner world" while the prospective Shinigami sleeps.

As stated, a Zanpakutō is a being unto itself, and tends to be highly temperamental. Its mood is determined by how it is treated by its Shinigami and its overall personality. This allows a Shinigami to partially determine whether or not it will achieve its true power.[49]

To

‘A wielder knows their Zanpakutō spirit very closely and vice versa. The connection is very deep, though in the beginning the connection is one sided, with the wielder being unable to fully hear the spirit communicating with them.[48] It is not uncommon for the introduction of the Shinigami and Zanpakutō spirit to take place in the Shinigami's "inner world" while the prospective Shinigami sleeps.
As stated, a Zanpakutō is a being unto itself, and tends to be highly temperamental. Its mood is determined by how it is treated by its Shinigami and its overall personality. This allows a Shinigami to partially determine whether or not it will achieve its true power.[49]

This way is less readable (and not as a paragraph)
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by BankaiGintoki
Yes
If you copy and pasted it into the UCAS personal statement area, saved it, and viewed your application - that is how it will look.
What do you mean by gaps between paragraphs…
Like this: https://bleach.fandom.com/wiki/Zanpakut%C5%8D

From

To

This way is less readable (and not as a paragraph)

Yeah this is what I did, does this not work? Otherwise (as I have 6 paragraphs) id use 10 lines of just gaps instead of 5 as it is now? I understand its less readable but cutting 5 lines is gonna be hard if i want to make it very readable and theres still gaps between the "paragraphs", similar to what you showed.
i would like to know this as well!!
Yeah this is what I did, does this not work? Otherwise (as I have 6 paragraphs) id use 10 lines of just gaps instead of 5 as it is now? I understand its less readable but cutting 5 lines is gonna be hard if i want to make it very readable and theres still gaps between the "paragraphs", similar to what you showed.

See https://www.falmouth.ac.uk/sites/default/files/download/writing_your_ucas_personal_statement.pdf
You are going to have to cut things out or merge a paragraph (most likely both) to get it to 47 lines
You need it to be readable, or admission tutors wont bother to read it
(edited 7 months ago)
See https://www.falmouth.ac.uk/sites/default/files/download/writing_your_ucas_personal_statement.pdf
You are going to have to cut things out or merge a paragraph (most likely both) to get it to 47 lines
You need it to be readable, or admission tutors wont bother to read it

Does "UCAS strips out all special formatting such as bold, indents,
tabs, multiple spaces with the single exception of blank lines.
Use blank lines in between paras to make it easy to read." mean that my PS will just appear as one big block?
Does "UCAS strips out all special formatting such as bold, indents,
tabs, multiple spaces with the single exception of blank lines.
Use blank lines in between paras to make it easy to read." mean that my PS will just appear as one big block?

No
No

So if my personal statement used to look like this:
adawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

dwahdwdgyiadgyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyywdadwaggawdgwgiagdgwd

and i removed the gap in the middle and did this:
adawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
dwahdwdgyiadgyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyywdadwaggawdgwgiagdgwd

How would it appear on ucas? One big block or like it looks here
So if my personal statement used to look like this:

and i removed the gap in the middle and did this:

How would it appear on ucas? One big block or like it looks here

Look as:

Look as:

So is that not okay?

Awaken the ancient one
BankaiGintoki is correct, UCAS will strip out double line breaks. So the end of each paragraph will just be a single carriage return, (have current applicants even seen a typewriter?!).

I would not worry about formatting too much as both UCAS and the uni's own systems may do odd things to it, so it probably won't appear as your carefully crafted masterpiece. So long as you put a single break at the end of each paragraph you'l be fine.

Awaken the ancient one

:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending