The Student Room Group

Need advice on choosing college/History course

--
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Atomix
I am considering becoming a History teacher in the future so I need to take A level History. The only problem is that I am struggling to decide which college to go to. These are the courses on offer;

College 1 (AQA)
Unit 1 Tsarist and Communist Russia 1855-1964
Unit 2 The making of modern Britain 1951-2007
I find these topics to be my favourite.

College 2 (OCR)
History Choice A
The Late Tudors 1547-1603
The Cold War in Asia 1945-1993
Civil Rights in USA 1865-1992
Or
History Choice B
Anglo-Saxons and the Norman Conquest 1035-1107
Russia 1894-1941
The Viking Age c790-1066

My course preference is AQA at college 1, the trouble is it's not as good a college with worse facilities (I have visited both) but it is more convenient as it is closer to me. It is rated Ofsted 'Good'. College 2 was rated 'Outstanding', and I prefer College 2. This is why I have a dilemma.

What are the differences between AQA and OCR history, and which course/college will help me progress to uni? Is it wiser to do the OCR course at a better college even though I enjoy the subject matter of the AQA more?

I am Russian and have studied russian history at russian school, i will tell you that Tsarist and Communist Russia 1855-1964 period is very difficult even for russians!

My daughter here is doing your second college choice
The Late Tudors 1547-1603
The Cold War in Asia 1945-1993
Civil Rights in USA 1865-1992
and she really likes it
Reply 2
Original post by Mrs X
I am Russian and have studied russian history at russian school, i will tell you that Tsarist and Communist Russia 1855-1964 period is very difficult even for russians!

Really? I found the course quite enjoyable when i did it back in the day
Reply 3
did you do it broad or depth?
Original post by Napp
Really? I found the course quite enjoyable when i did it back in the day
Reply 4
Original post by Mrs X
did you do it broad or depth?

At A-Level? No but then again you're not supposed to at that level. I did at University though.
course "B" looks largely similar to the AQA syllabus, depending exactly on how they define what "made" modern Britain...

At the end of the day the content of your A-level is entirely irrelevant. You will study much more, and in much greater depth, at university. You can also do wider reading into the topics that don't overlap between the syllabuses and get an appreciation of both. The A-level is just a stepping stone, really.

Quick Reply

Latest