The Student Room Group

Not using notes from class but doing own research instead?

Is this normal? I take notes during class (I record lectures) but when it comes to doing assignments, pretty much none of the info we have 'learnt' in lecutres is useful so we end up just teaching ourselves the relevent information for our assignments/essays. All of my notes have basically just gone to waste (I've given up even taking note now). The whole course is Assignment based so it's not like we have to revise anything. What's the point of paying £9,250 if we just end up wasting all our lecture time and teaching ourselves the information we actually need?

Anyone else feel this way?
Original post by Hedwig2189
Is this normal? I take notes during class (I record lectures) but when it comes to doing assignments, pretty much none of the info we have 'learnt' in lecutres is useful so we end up just teaching ourselves the relevent information for our assignments/essays. All of my notes have basically just gone to waste (I've given up even taking note now). The whole course is Assignment based so it's not like we have to revise anything. What's the point of paying £9,250 if we just end up wasting all our lecture time and teaching ourselves the information we actually need?

Anyone else feel this way?

Hmm maybe think about it this way. Lectures are a way of laying some foundation and giving you an outline about your topic. You are meant to then use that as a basis to fill in the knowledge gaps and explore your own interests. Lectures are not meant to teach you everything which is how uni differs from school. It's about learning to think for yourself.
Reply 2
Original post by alleycat393
Hmm maybe think about it this way. Lectures are a way of laying some foundation and giving you an outline about your topic. You are meant to then use that as a basis to fill in the knowledge gaps and explore your own interests. Lectures are not meant to teach you everything which is how uni differs from school. It's about learning to think for yourself.

No I get that. I didan Access course last year and that was taught Uni style. But what I mean is that we aren't using ANY of the information in the class at all. For example, we spent 6 hours (2 lectures) talking about the hisotry of health. 80 slides of a powerpoint about the histor of ehalthcare from the 15th century. But no where on ourassignments do we have to talk aboutor even refer to the history of health. We aren't supposed to talk about healthcare from before 1990. So why do do we learn it? It's not just this lecture, it's all of them. That was just the easiet example I could think of.
Original post by Hedwig2189
No I get that. I didan Access course last year and that was taught Uni style. But what I mean is that we aren't using ANY of the information in the class at all. For example, we spent 6 hours (2 lectures) talking about the hisotry of health. 80 slides of a powerpoint about the histor of ehalthcare from the 15th century. But no where on ourassignments do we have to talk aboutor even refer to the history of health. We aren't supposed to talk about healthcare from before 1990. So why do do we learn it? It's not just this lecture, it's all of them. That was just the easiet example I could think of.

It could be assessed through other means or you may be expected to compare and talk about lessons learnt or what went well. It may also just be about context and background. The other thing to bear in mind that going through uni with just the aim of passing assessments is not the right way to go.
Reply 4
Original post by alleycat393
It could be assessed through other means or you may be expected to compare and talk about lessons learnt or what went well. It may also just be about context and background. The other thing to bear in mind that going through uni with just the aim of passing assessments is not the right way to go.

Again, I know that. But what's the point in teaching us stuff that isn't relevent and then not helping us at all with what we actually need? Like, at all?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending