The Student Room Group

A level notes

I'm struggling in a particular subject because my class notes are so bare. In class its hard to follow the powerpoints as the teachers go through so quickly. It seems like everyone else but me understands the topics. However my independent study notes are better. I also find it hard to make contributions in lessons because I feel like I do not know enough about a topic. I would read ahead on the notes that I DO have but I barely have any time as we are being set essay after essay. What can I do to better organise my subject and manage my time effectively despite the large amount of homework being set.
I am planning to organise the two folders that I have (one per each year) and fill up the topics that have less notes/content or topics that I don't understand as much.
Reply 1
make sure you have a copy of each powerpoint used in class. at my sixth form the teachers would just usually send it to us before the lesson or email it/put it on google classroom if i asked for it. in the lesson, make rough notes of what you can understand and make sure to jot down anything you don't understand. after the lesson, if possible, ask your teacher if they can go over the stuff you didn't get in the lesson. if not, during independent study, make sure you prioritise researching and learning these things. search for extra resources like videos, flashcards, diagrams, textbooks etc. everyone learns in different ways- find what works for you. then make proper, organised notes on everything from that lesson using your rough notes, the powerpoint and anything else you found online. that way you can be sure there are no holes in your knowledge that may come back to haunt you later. this can be a little time consuming but make sure to schedule this consolidation time into your free periods
Reply 2
Original post by michaela001
I'm struggling in a particular subject because my class notes are so bare. In class its hard to follow the powerpoints as the teachers go through so quickly. It seems like everyone else but me understands the topics. However my independent study notes are better. I also find it hard to make contributions in lessons because I feel like I do not know enough about a topic. I would read ahead on the notes that I DO have but I barely have any time as we are being set essay after essay. What can I do to better organise my subject and manage my time effectively despite the large amount of homework being set.
I am planning to organise the two folders that I have (one per each year) and fill up the topics that have less notes/content or topics that I don't understand as much.

Might help to keep your own study notes out during the lesson if you're allowed, and edit them by adding things that you learn in the lesson and don't already have written down, or adding any questions about specific areas that you can later ask your teacher about. Most sixth forms provide their students with access to the power points so if possible, go over them to add in what you might have missed.

In terms of managing your time, it might be best to dedicate different portions of your day to a different task e.g., revision, essay writing, and time for yourself, that way you attend to each area at least once a day and have a schedule that is spread out overtime. This means that in terms of revision, you're constantly revisiting areas so they should hopefully stay fresh in your head. In terms of essay writing, it means you're constantly adding to it. You don't have to spend long on each task either, it could be just 30 minutes or an hour of your day revising over a topic for example, whether it's consolidating your knowledge on something you just learnt, or making extra notes on an area you don't quite understand. You could then spend an hour starting one of the essays you've been set. If you wanted to organise your time even further, set yourself a goal within each chosen task e.g., in that hour set for essay writing, make sure you complete a very clear, bullet pointed essay plan of what you're going to include.

Hope this helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest