The Student Room Group

The Duke Of Edinburgh's Award's Society

Scroll to see replies

To answer a few questions
rivers_sid
I have a question for wizard710..where am i supposed to get the british army rationing packs.. and are they delicous to eat??

You don't have to get the ration packs as such, you can just get boil in the bag meals looking like this

dream123
I have a few questions.

1)Based on your age you have to complete a particular award.I have to complete the gold award BUT i have never been part of the D O E before so I dont have bronze/silver. How can I get them?

2) I have chosen what I would like to do in each sections: skills etc. Now, I would like to do ice skating...so, do I have to go to an ice rink and enquire about an instructor or does someone help me with this? And...is there any help with fees? :P

I think thats it for now...

by the way, did anyone feel nervous and excited when they recived their record book?

1) You will have to do your skill/phys rec/service for longer as you haven't done bronze or silver, the extra length of time should be said in the book.
2)Nope, sorry there is no help with fees and you have to get off your own back an research/enquire as to where to learn how to skate.

and finally, you should not feel nervous and if you do you should question why is suppose.
Hi!

I'm going to be doing gold d of e at college next year, but I'm bad at all sports. Does anyone know what I can do? Thanks!

x
nuttygirl
Hi!

I'm going to be doing gold d of e at college next year, but I'm bad at all sports. Does anyone know what I can do? Thanks!

x

Well things like mountain biking, skiing and rock climbing can be used as physical sections, as can hang gliding and yoga. The range is pretty big (have a look at the physical section of the award website) and if you can't find one for you then it is possible to create your own,
theaward.org
Participants can develop their own programme to meet the principles of the Section, provided that the activity:

has a national governing body which is recognised by UK Sport, the British Sports Trust or the relevant home country sports council
has Operating Authority approval
Operating Authorities have overall responsibility for monitoring the quality of the participant's experience and their safety. As such, they may have additional guidelines and safety requirements relating to particular activities.

as long as it's approved by the Operating Authority, so there's a good range of options.
Hth, MtnMtMn
I've only got one expedition left! :frown: I'm thinking about training to be a leader though.

We did our bronzes in the Chiltern Hills. Silver Practice in theBrecon Beacons and it was pretty good weather. Not too hot, but it did get pretty cold at night. And on the second day they made us walk an extra kilometre at the end of our route to go to a different campsite.

Silver qualifying we went to Snowdonia, and our route was kind of crazy hard. We even had to incorporate a bit of rock climbing where the path had fallen away or something. It was coming down from Carnedd Llewellyn I think, or maybe Foel Grach.

Gold practice we went to the Brecon Beacons, it was a thoroughly entertaining expedition. Our group consisted of me and my two friends whom I've done all my expeditions, a guy in year 13 who turned into the father figure of our group (lol) and TWO direct entrants. They were totally clueless, and one dropped out on day 2. The one that dropped out managed to lose a tent when we were less than a k from our first campsite. It was the school's best tent and all! ;D

We also had hail flying into our faces at many miles an hour. Leaders later said it was the worst weather they'd ever seen on an easter expedition. The year before had boiling hot weather. So not fair. :P
Hi.

I'm currently doing Gold and i was able to change my sport activity from Fencing to cycling with no problem.

Will i be able to do this for my skills as well or am i only allowed one change?
Kagutsuchi
Hi.

I'm currently doing Gold and i was able to change my sport activity from Fencing to cycling with no problem.

Will i be able to do this for my skills as well or am i only allowed one change?

No, there shouldn't be any problem changing activities as long as you fulfill the time allocation for the activity. Make sure you get signatures from both coordinaters for your booklet, because I did 3 different sports for my Gold award :redface:

Have you done the Residential Project? That took the most effort, but it was good fun. Make sure to get someone who you are doing the project for to sign your book, or a document for you, to authenticate the project.
Yeah, I want to try and get a sailing expedition when I come to do my residential.
Can anyone give a list of all the clothing that i'll need?

also, for the rain-gear what type should i get?

also, what's the budget is should look for in the clothing?
and also, where do i get them? :p:
We've been updating the D of E wiki page and there should be a decent kit list on there.
Basically you're looking at a breathable base layer (NOT cotton) including underwear, a mid layer for warmth (fleece mainly), and a wind and water proof top layer.
For the outer layer look for a breathable material that's at least 10 m water proof. This is a thing called the hydrostatic head - a measure of how high a column of water the material can keep out. You don't really need gore-tex or eVent, although they are better. Something about £60 and above should be good enough (or borrow one from your unit if you can) but for more advice see your unit guys or pop into a good store like Field and Trek, Cotswold, Snow and Rock or Blacks (although the quality of advice at Blacks, I'm afraid to say, varies on which store you visit and which member of staff you ask - and before anyone says it, I say that as an ex assistant manager of Blacks!). There's also independant stores all over the place, some good, some bad, but then I'm a kit monkey so will visit any outdoors shop I pass.
If you go into a shop and they try to sell you a jacket that's over £100 make sure you visit a different shop before you get it. You do get what you pay for but at Gold you don't need to spend that much to be honest. Most of the websites include an advice and kit list section and it's worth having a look at some of them to get an idea of what others recommend.
Of course, that's just my thoughts, hope it helps.
mountainmetman
We've been updating the D of E wiki page and there should be a decent kit list on there.
Basically you're looking at a breathable base layer (NOT cotton) including underwear, a mid layer for warmth (fleece mainly), and a wind and water proof top layer.
For the outer layer look for a breathable material that's at least 10 m water proof. This is a thing called the hydrostatic head - a measure of how high a column of water the material can keep out. You don't really need gore-tex or eVent, although they are better. Something about £60 and above should be good enough (or borrow one from your unit if you can) but for more advice see your unit guys or pop into a good store like Field and Trek, Cotswold, Snow and Rock or Blacks (although the quality of advice at Blacks, I'm afraid to say, varies on which store you visit and which member of staff you ask - and before anyone says it, I say that as an ex assistant manager of Blacks!). There's also independant stores all over the place, some good, some bad, but then I'm a kit monkey so will visit any outdoors shop I pass.
If you go into a shop and they try to sell you a jacket that's over £100 make sure you visit a different shop before you get it. You do get what you pay for but at Gold you don't need to spend that much to be honest. Most of the websites include an advice and kit list section and it's worth having a look at some of them to get an idea of what others recommend.

i've just had a browse around and all this looks incredibly expensive!

I'll borrow one from my unit - but would you recommend i buy my hiking boots on Ebay? I'm just a little Ebay addict. :p:
I wouldn't to be honest. Other stuff yes but not really boots.
If you're going to do that make sure that you visit a store first and try on those exact boots with the socks you're going to wear. Even then, make sure you can send them back or sell them on. Boots are so important to get the fit right, get it wrong and you can be crippled half way through the first day.
Even from boot to boot in the same line, individual boots can vary in fit, length, width and depth wise.
But yeah, the kit can be pricey. Back with my first unit we had a collection of unit kit to lend out and some people (like myself) had extra kit we could lend out for people to borrow.
mountainmetman

Thanks for that, I only set it up with basic information so thanks for filling it out
mountainmetman
I wouldn't to be honest. Other stuff yes but not really boots.
If you're going to do that make sure that you visit a store first and try on those exact boots with the socks you're going to wear. Even then, make sure you can send them back or sell them on. Boots are so important to get the fit right, get it wrong and you can be crippled half way through the first day.
Even from boot to boot in the same line, individual boots can vary in fit, length, width and depth wise.
But yeah, the kit can be pricey. Back with my first unit we had a collection of unit kit to lend out and some people (like myself) had extra kit we could lend out for people to borrow.

thanks for the advice.

For the tent, do i have to use the triangular prism ones or can i buy and use this one:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/0180690/Trail/searchtext%3ETENT.htm
I wouldn't recommend the pop up tents, although they may be just about waterproof enough, they haven't got the strength for the conditions you're likely to encounter. It's not much fun trying to sleep when the wind blows the fabric of the tent down onto your face and you get soaked from the moisture on the surface.
Ridge tents (the triangular ones) aren't the only ones, you can also use dome, half-dome, tunnel, or geodesic designs. A 2-3 man tent should be about the right size, remember you can split the weight between the people sleeping in it so if you have a bigger tent you've got more people that can carry it but chances are each section will be heavier. Domes give a good amount of space and are pretty stable, tunnels have more room but need to be pitched with the back of the tent into the wind, geodesics you can pretty much just chuck up and let the gods decide where the wind comes from. Try and go for a two skinned (inner and outer) design, as that cuts down on the amount of condensation that will drip onto you inside it.
For reference, I carry my own tent but I'm more of the assessor side of things, and it's a Terra Nova Ultra Quasar, so only wieghs 3.1 kilos all in. Argos do a semi-geo that weighs about 5 kg and can be split up, or the Blacks own brand ones are pretty good. If they quote waterproofness or hydrostatic head, look for 2 m mimimum, pref more than 5 m.
Boots - get them!! They are useful and if you can get decent ones then protects your feet on many a journey

Rain protection stuff - get separate jacket and trousers, protecting your legs from getting wet is also important. Northface have good stuff, might be useful to go look at them.

Tents - we just borrowed from school, but it doesn't really matter. If you do want to buy one, buy an all terrain tent, it will be better, but they will be expensive. Better to get a nice sleeping bag, which won't be that expensive and can work a charm if you have the right one.

Yep the Wiki is useful, that should tell you whatever you need for the expeditions.
Erm, A silk liner is also a good idea as it adds an extra 5celsius to the comfort zone of your sleeping bag
About the hiking boots - what kinds am i looking for? Any recommended brands or shops to buy from?
Kagutsuchi
About the hiking boots - what kinds am i looking for? Any recommended brands or shops to buy from?

All my stuff is Northface, because I love their stuff. Make sure that they are ankle high to protect your ankles, and have rough soles. You can ask for hiking type boots and you will be able to tell if they are suitable. Make sure you know what kind of terrain you will be at, because some different type of boots might be needed. If its going to rain, make sure you have waterproof shoes, which I do think most NorthFace ones are.

:smile:
http://www.blacks.co.uk/Mens-Valles-eVent%C2%AE-Boots/product/082797.aspx?searchbreadcrumbs=may-footwear-sale

good or not? These should have steel toes right?

Any other good shops to buy from? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending