The Student Room Group

Is DoFe actually useful for university applications

I did bronze DoFe with my school last year. We have now been sent the email inviting us to do silver DoFe.I have a language GCSE a few days before the expedition and have a trip to Germany a few days after it so I feel as if I will have a lot going on during that time. Do the DoFe awards actually help you with your university applications and are they worth it? For those who have done it what is silver DoFe like? Do you think that I have too much going on in that time to do silver DoFe?
They can be good to talk about in interviews but you're unlikely to get anything from silver that you didn't from bronze. Gold can be seen as impressive (although it's unlikely to make much of a difference to a uni application), but you can do that without silver anyway just with a bit more work. It sounds like you might be better focusing on what you have already, and getting the most out of your trip to Germany. Unless you're really keen on the D of E anyway, which it sounds like you're probably not.
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 2
no lol don’t do it
i did gold and it’s a waste of money
unis don’t care, not worth any ucas points and personally, my expedition was rough lol wouldn’t wish it on anyone
the only valuable thing from it is that you have to do volunteering - which is something you can do without dofe anyway so ultimately it’s very pointless
Reply 3
Original post by jenny666
no lol don’t do it
i did gold and it’s a waste of money
unis don’t care, not worth any ucas points and personally, my expedition was rough lol wouldn’t wish it on anyone
the only valuable thing from it is that you have to do volunteering - which is something you can do without dofe anyway so ultimately it’s very pointless

Original post by furryface12
They can be good to talk about in interviews but you're unlikely to get anything from silver that you didn't from bronze. Gold can be seen as impressive (although it's unlikely to make much of a difference to a uni application), but you can do that without silver anyway just with a bit more work. It sounds like you might be better focusing on what you have already, and getting the most out of your trip to Germany. Unless you're really keen on the D of E anyway, which it sounds like you're probably not.

Thank you for both of your responses! I'm now reconsidering doing the Silver Duke of Edinburgh Award.

One advantage I see in pursuing the Silver Duke of Edinburgh Award is that it could help me get involved in volunteering. I can volunteer without going for the award, but having the Duke of Edinburgh as a goal might motivate me more. Also, I see DoFe as a fun challenge and it does motivate you to do physical activities and learn valuable skills.
Do you think that the Duke of Edinburgh might take up too much of my time, especially considering I have a GCSE language exam this academic year, and the Duke of Edinburgh activities are scheduled shortly after it? Additionally, I have a trip to Germany planned shortly after completing the Duke of Edinburgh which might make it less enjoyable as I could be tired of trips for a while after the expedition. Despite this, it could be a nice way to relax after the language GCSE exam.
(edited 6 months ago)
No. Do it if you want it for your own sake, but it has absolutely no relevance to university applications these days. Everyone and their mother has been doing it for over a decade and universities are completely aware of what it does and doesn't do to prepare students for uni and they just don't care.

So as stated - if you want to do it for yourself, do it! If you're only considering it for personal statement fodder, don't bother.
Reply 5
DofE expedition, relaxing???
Reply 6
Original post by Artjen
DofE expedition, relaxing???

After a GCSE exam, to a certain extent, it can be a bit relaxing as you don't think about the test you just had and DoFe is pretty intense but fun.
Do the DoFe awards actually help you with your university applications? no
and are they worth it? if you're lacking in other experiences then possibly - but you'd be better off getting a job in your spare time in most cases

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending