The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Invisible

AS and GCSE Grades and interviews are what should ultimately matter - Most people just lie/blag the PS and ref's, when they don't even have the grades to support it.

This is your opinion. I had a look at your profile, you are a 6th form student, you have had no experience of university life I'll wager and probably don't know too many academics on a personal basis. I, on the other hand, am a graduate and research student in a very good university department who works with colleagues who deal with university admissions every year - I am telling you that these people consider the whole package and not just parts.
ChemistBoy
This is your opinion. I had a look at your profile, you are a 6th form student, you have had no experience of university life I'll wager and probably don't know too many academics on a personal basis. I, on the other hand, am a graduate and research student in a very good university department who works with colleagues who deal with university admissions every year - I am telling you that these people consider the whole package and not just parts.

The whole package is considered, but primarily, grades are most important when applying for a degree! Your claims are absolute nonsense, people with top grades don't apply to the best universities out of random choice!

Everyone has a good ref/ps, people just lie, simple.
Invisible
The whole package is considered, but primarily, grades are most important when applying for a degree! Your claims are absolute nonsense, people with top grades don't apply to the best universities out of random choice!

Everyone has a good ref/ps, people just lie, simple.

Fine, don't believe me then. I don't really care.
im a panicked sixth form student and have just written my personal statement (due in monday). needs a lot of work still. my school hasnt told me predicted grades, or even what i need for my UCAS form...help! :confused:
Reply 84
green_eyes
im a panicked sixth form student and have just written my personal statement (due in monday). needs a lot of work still. my school hasnt told me predicted grades, or even what i need for my UCAS form...help! :confused:

You've got ages left yet before you need to send it off. It was October 15th I think last year, if you were applying for Oxbridge, or January 15th (my birthday) otherwise.
Reply 85
I don't mean to start off the argument again, but this thread really does just show what a total farce the UCAS system is. I understand a PS is important, but it should only be used to distinguish between people who have the same grades. Everyone should have to cash their ASs in and predictions should be fair. My school are really harsh about giving out predicted grades, and in most cases will only predict you the grade you got for AS, or the grade below that. How PSs can be considered that important when people lie, plaigiarise, and in some cases get other people to write them for them, baffles me. I'm not denying that's how the system works if you say it is, but it is a rather stupid system!
Ellie4
I don't mean to start off the argument again, but this thread really does just show what a total farce the UCAS system is. I understand a PS is important, but it should only be used to distinguish between people who have the same grades. Everyone should have to cash their ASs in and predictions should be fair. My school are really harsh about giving out predicted grades, and in most cases will only predict you the grade you got for AS, or the grade below that. How PSs can be considered that important when people lie, plaigiarise, and in some cases get other people to write them for them, baffles me. I'm not denying that's how the system works if you say it is, but it is a rather stupid system!

Totally agree, which is why I am in favour of the PQA system that Charles Clarke is suggesting. Having students apply after they have received their qualifications is a lot less amibigious.
Reply 87
green_eyes

Monday? thats abit early?
Reply 88
ChemistBoy

Look mate! You can lie in your ps and reference easily. If teachers give me a bad reference/ not as good as I hoped for, i tell them to change it, and so do most people. PS - you can bullshit. Teachers in the schools, in my school anyways, tell us to exaggerate when possible to make you stand out. Is this fair and does it show how you will do in unis? Im sure unis are aware of this.
Reply 89
Did/do you all get to see your teacher references before they're sent off then? I didn't :frown: and I certainly didn't get the opportunity to ask them to change anything I didn't like!
Jenn xx
Reply 90
JennLlama
Did/do you all get to see your teacher references before they're sent off then? I didn't :frown: and I certainly didn't get the opportunity to ask them to change anything I didn't like!
Jenn xx

It depends on your school. With our school, we see them before theyre sent off.
Reply 91
JennLlama
Jenn xx

I don't get to see mine either :frown:
Reply 92
Ellie4
I don't get to see mine either :frown:

Ask your teachers! Im sure they'll tell you what he/she wrote or let you have a look at it.
TheWolf
Look mate! You can lie in your ps and reference easily. If teachers give me a bad reference/ not as good as I hoped for, i tell them to change it, and so do most people. PS - you can bullshit.

And predicted grades.

Teachers in the schools, in my school anyways, tell us to exaggerate when possible to make you stand out.

The reality is that everyone does this, kind of self-equalising really

Is this fair and does it show how you will do in unis? Im sure unis are aware of this.

No it isn't fair and no it isn't a good indication and unis are aware of it. Sadly at the moment it is the information they have to go on, and until a better system is found it will remain thus.

I am not trying to argue that this is a good way of doing things and that it isn't unfair, because I believe it is. However, it is how things stand at the moment.
Reply 94
I was predicted ABB/B but got ACC/B in the end by a few marks in total. I got 370 UCAS points in total but UCAS points are worth b*llocks these days aren't they?
Reply 95
asdasdagaga
Anyone here?

3 Ds darling
Reply 96
I've got 4As prediction (General Studies included). I'm NOT applying to Ox/Camb. I refuse to.
A - Maths (87% at as)
A - Chemistry (82% at as)
B - Biology (79% at as)

My school predicts your A2's as the same grade as what you got in AS.
ThePenguinMafia
A - Maths (87% at as)
A - Chemistry (82% at as)
B - Biology (79% at as)

My school predicts your A2's as the same grade as what you got in AS.

My biology said that she would predict people the same grade as, or one grade lower than, what they got for AS. I got a B. My predicted grade is an A. :biggrin: I was only four marks off an A though and i am retaking the module i got a B for, so apparently she thinks i can get an A, even though i don't.
Reply 99
I just found out today I have been predicted four As (excluding general studies). Yipppeee!!!

Latest

Trending

Trending