The Student Room Group

Does this mean they're clever?

Say if someone get's A*'s in first year of sixth form in the class tests (you can get A*s because the exams are linear) in biology and chemistry- does that mean they're very clever.
Since A-levels are kind of trivial compared to undergrad work, and very trivial compared to postgrad work, in relative terms no. Given they're also fairly irrelevant to any practical use outside of academic, it's also not much of an indicator of "intelligence" in a work-based environment either.

A-levels are not an end in themselves. They are a means to an end - what that end varies between people, but in general it's "working in x area" which, if you're taking A-levels, usually also requires one or several degrees as a further means to that end.
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
Since A-levels are kind of trivial compared to undergrad work, and very trivial compared to postgrad work, in relative terms no. Given they're also fairly irrelevant to any practical use outside of academic, it's also not much of an indicator of "intelligence" in a work-based environment either.

A-levels are not an end in themselves. They are a means to an end - what that end varies between people, but in general it's "working in x area" which, if you're taking A-levels, usually also requires one or several degrees as a further means to that end.

Translation: No

However, do you accept that in society most people percieve the term 'intelligence' as in how high your grades are. If someone is getting A*s very early on in the year, then surely they are clever because despite hard or not, you have to be clever to get a high grade on a test, I mean A*s because if someone is naturally intelligent, and they wing it and don't revise for a test then it's very difficult to get high grades, do you get what i mean? :smile:
You're right that A-levels aren't the end, there's so many successful people that aren't very academically able but have made it very far :smile:
Original post by TSR69
However, do you accept that in society most people percieve the term 'intelligence' as in how high your grades are. If someone is getting A*s very early on in the year, then surely they are clever because despite hard or not, you have to be clever to get a high grade on a test, I mean A*s because if someone is naturally intelligent, and they wing it and don't revise for a test then it's very difficult to get high grades, do you get what i mean? :smile:
You're right that A-levels aren't the end, there's so many successful people that aren't very academically able but have made it very far :smile:

Yes and no. A levels are a nut to crack in themselves. Its not like GCSE where the test is solely on your memory, but is instead on your ability to do well in an exam. Exams themselves can test on odd skills that realistically probably wont be used again. I know one of my subjects have a question that test two skills you just wont ever use together, even in Further academic study. I believe they are used as a determiner as to whether someone is intelligent or not, but that's because there's nothing else out there except IQ tests to test on different areas of intelligence.
Of course. People who complete exams honestly and get the highest marks are, in fact, generally more intelligent than those who can't.

However, there's a big difference between intelligence and wisdom, and it's important to draw the line.

It's very easy to prey on that naive difference with some worldly perspective. Qualifications aren't absolute.
Original post by TSR69

Eh, you still can.

It's just that far less people can do it at A-level.
Original post by _gcx
Eh, you still can.

It's just that far less people can do it at A-level.

I know you can, hence 'very difficult' but not 'impossible' :smile:
Original post by TSR69
However, do you accept that in society most people percieve the term 'intelligence' as in how high your grades are

No, because we don't live in France. Regrettably. Statistically "most" people in this country view academic achievement with suspicion and disdain.

Original post by TSR69
If someone is getting A*s very early on in the year, then surely they are clever

There is nothing to suggest this. "1000 monkeys writing on 1000 typwriters for 1000 years would write the works of Shakespeare"...eventually. Not to mention, there will be more increasingly difficult material being introduced over the rest of the two year course, and you will be examined on ALL material. So doing well early in the course, when it's arguably at it's easiest, isn't any particularly special indicator.

Original post by TSR69
because despite hard or not, you have to be clever to get a high grade on a test

As above, and moreover it entirely depends on the format of the test and whomever is setting it/writing the questions. It's entirely possible to be very good at taking tests but not actually understand any of the syllabus in a non-superficial way.

Original post by TSR69
if someone is naturally intelligent

There is no such thing as "natural" intelligence. Knowledge is only as useful as the context in which it is applied - you could write out the works of Chaucer, but if you had no idea what any of the importance of it was, then you would do very poorly in any literature exam. Not to mention you could be a world class literary critic, but this knowledge would be useless if you were asked to build a shelter in the Serengeti (or differentiate x^2...)

[QUOTE="TSR69;74963814"]they wing it and don't revise for a test then it's very difficult to get high grades, do you get what i mean?/QUOTE]

As above, not necessarily depending on the format and test setter. If they just happen to know their teachers interests and how they like to set questions, they are at an advantage compared to someone who has not paid attention to this. This does not suggest any particular ability other than to understand how an individual writes exams/questions. Plus, as above from the monkeys example, for some formats (in particular, multiple choice) it's entirely possible to guess every answer correctly. In fact if there's negative marking, it's entirely possible to guess every answer and more often than not end up with a decent mark.

t's not a bad thing to have achieved but resting on ones laurels and patting oneself on the back over it is pointless, and defining worth by achievement in such academic tests is troubling at best.
There is no such thing as "natural" intelligence. Knowledge is only as useful as the context in which it is applied - you could write out the works of Chaucer, but if you had no idea what any of the importance of it was, then you would do very poorly in any literature exam. Not to mention you could be a world class literary critic, but this knowledge would be useless if you were asked to build a shelter in the Serengeti (or differentiate x^2...)

You make good points :smile:, but (what I highlighted in bold), this is rather controversial, as, natural intelligence must exist because is someone doesn't revise for an exam and get a high grade then surely they must already have the 'sufficient' knowlege to achieve that grade, with minumum revision, then they are able to understand concepts quickly and hence are 'naturally' smart.
However, my definition of 'natural intelligence' is someone who is able to understand things quickly and don't need to revise over them because they already understand it and are able to achieve high grades in an exam. So if you don't think grades mean you're clever, then surely it is how able you are to undertstand things?
Reply 10
You can't get A* in first year even if exams are linear. That's not how it works.
Original post by MR1999
You can't get A* in first year even if exams are linear. That's not how it works.

The teachers said you could?
Reply 12
Original post by TSR69
The teachers said you could?

The highest grade which you can get at the end of year 12 is still an A. It's been that way since A levels became linear.
Original post by TSR69

You make good points :smile:, but (what I highlighted in bold), this is rather controversial, as, natural intelligence must exist because is someone doesn't revise for an exam and get a high grade then surely they must already have the 'sufficient' knowlege to achieve that grade, with minumum revision, then they are able to understand concepts quickly and hence are 'naturally' smart.
However, my definition of 'natural intelligence' is someone who is able to understand things quickly and don't need to revise over them because they already understand it and are able to achieve high grades in an exam. So if you don't think grades mean you're clever, then surely it is how able you are to undertstand things?

Not necessarily, because people understand things differently, and at different rates. Besides which, exam grades offer only the barest insight into someones ability to reason and "learn" - which is why Oxbridge interview any candidates they may take to see how well they actually do adapt to new information or known information in unfamiliar contexts.

I have no doubt there are thousands of epistemological arguments on the topic as well, however I am no philosopher so can't offer any insight into that. Suffice it to say, the concepts of knowledge, intelligence and understanding are a lot more nuanced than presented in this thread.

I'm sure there are at least a few with a passing background in the area in the philosophy forum should you wish to probe the subject more deeply however...
Not necessarily, because people understand things differently, and at different rates. Besides which, exam grades offer only the barest insight into someones ability to reason and "learn" - which is why Oxbridge interview any candidates they may take to see how well they actually do adapt to new information or known information in unfamiliar contexts.

I have no doubt there are thousands of epistemological arguments on the topic as well, however I am no philosopher so can't offer any insight into that. Suffice it to say, the concepts of knowledge, intelligence and understanding are a lot more nuanced than presented in this thread.

I'm sure there are at least a few with a passing background in the area in the philosophy forum should you wish to probe the subject more deeply however...

Thanks anyway :smile:, yh I do feel like 'intelligence' has myriad ways of being percepted by an individual :u:

Quick Reply

Latest