The Student Room Group

Advance Learner Loan?

Hi all,

I recently applied to study Access to Higher Education (Education) with LearnDirect to be funded through the advance learner loan.

I called today to check the status of my application and was advised that I can only do the course if I would be able to complete the course by the end of July 2018. This is a requirement set by the Advance Learner Loan as other company's websites are saying the same thing, but I can't afford to fund the course myself.

The website says to achieve high grades they would expect the learner to take a minimum of 9 months to complete the course to a high standard. I work full time so I'm afraid to commit myself in case I fail, or don't achieve the pass rates I require in the 7 months available. I have also been out of education for 11 years so was looking forward to being able to take my time to ensure I completed a sufficient amount of research at each stage to give myself the best chance of success.

Do you think 7 months is enough time? Has anybody else had the same issue with the loan, as I was under the impression they allowed you 2 years to complete the course?
I did my access course via a local college. From September to May it is approx 7 months taking in to account holidays. I also worked whilst I was at college. So to answer your question, 7(one academic year, ish) months is do-able. I believe an access course in a year is typical.
Original post by L.Michie
Hi all,

I recently applied to study Access to Higher Education (Education) with LearnDirect to be funded through the advance learner loan.

I called today to check the status of my application and was advised that I can only do the course if I would be able to complete the course by the end of July 2018. This is a requirement set by the Advance Learner Loan as other company's websites are saying the same thing, but I can't afford to fund the course myself.

The website says to achieve high grades they would expect the learner to take a minimum of 9 months to complete the course to a high standard. I work full time so I'm afraid to commit myself in case I fail, or don't achieve the pass rates I require in the 7 months available. I have also been out of education for 11 years so was looking forward to being able to take my time to ensure I completed a sufficient amount of research at each stage to give myself the best chance of success.

Do you think 7 months is enough time? Has anybody else had the same issue with the loan, as I was under the impression they allowed you 2 years to complete the course?

Learn Direct have been in the news lately and not for the right reasons.
I would not do a distance learning correspondence course, but would go to a college so i had teachers and fellow students. It will be a better learning experience.
Seven months doable? Possibly if you are committed. id rather get higher marks. If it was my money then id take a college course next year and in the meantime do some heavy prep so I could absolutely master it when the course started proper. All depends how confident and how much you back your ability.
Reply 3
Yes college would obviously be ideal, however I would not be able to afford to leave work for study. The college courses in my area are all 3 days a week, I'd have to drop my work hours to 4 days a week to stand a chance of keeping a roof over my head. I feel I have more chance of getting the high marks working in my own time than burning myself out going the college route. I would end up with no time for homework/self study, let alone relaxation.
I am doing this course with them right now, you also need to take into account the sometimes ridiculous amount of time they take to mark your work too. On one unit I was waiting a month in total to get a final grade. You can go as fast as you can but if they drag their feet there is nothing you can do
(edited 6 years ago)
I'm looking at home study access course in the future.
I live in the sticks, so college isn't an option for me either.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending