The Student Room Group

self funded access to HE diploma affects advanced learner loan and student finance

Hi there!
I am a mature student (29) and I’ve recently applied for an advanced learner loan to cover for tuition fees for an access to HE course in Art and Design that I will start this September at my local college hoping to go to university in 2024
As I applied for the advanced learner loan on the student finance website I’ve read that years of previous study can affect my eligibility for the loan. I’ve done plenty research on the matter and all I could find were contradictory answers
So my problem is:
I have enrolled (2020) on a previous access to HE online for equine physiotherapy (as I work in horseracing) that was self funded and lasted 2 years, I have not completed the course as my personal situation changed, I have realised my heart was not set on it after being badly injured by horses (6 concussions in 2 years + many broken bones) and my father’s health has quickly deteriorated, my family lives overseas and I have decided to pursue a different career path that I am passionate about and will allow me to find a job in any country and not be reliant to the Uk only, where horseracing is big deal whilst it’s not in my country.

Will this 2 self funded previews years of level 3 study stop me from being approved an advanced learner loan?

Also, once completed this access to HE course plus the 2 self funded years will stop me from being approved for student finance for university?

I have also completed one year of study at university overseas (self funded) in 2015 and decided to drop out as it was my parents choice not mine

Does this mean that if my university course of choice is 3 years (+1 year gift) allows me 4 years of funding, minus the 4 years of previous scattered study at diffentr levels I will I be entitled to no funding whatsoever?

Sorry for the confusion and thank you for your help 😭
Original post by Vis a Vis
Hi there!
I am a mature student (29) and I’ve recently applied for an advanced learner loan to cover for tuition fees for an access to HE course in Art and Design that I will start this September at my local college hoping to go to university in 2024
As I applied for the advanced learner loan on the student finance website I’ve read that years of previous study can affect my eligibility for the loan. I’ve done plenty research on the matter and all I could find were contradictory answers
So my problem is:
I have enrolled (2020) on a previous access to HE online for equine physiotherapy (as I work in horseracing) that was self funded and lasted 2 years, I have not completed the course as my personal situation changed, I have realised my heart was not set on it after being badly injured by horses (6 concussions in 2 years + many broken bones) and my father’s health has quickly deteriorated, my family lives overseas and I have decided to pursue a different career path that I am passionate about and will allow me to find a job in any country and not be reliant to the Uk only, where horseracing is big deal whilst it’s not in my country.

Will this 2 self funded previews years of level 3 study stop me from being approved an advanced learner loan?

Also, once completed this access to HE course plus the 2 self funded years will stop me from being approved for student finance for university?

I have also completed one year of study at university overseas (self funded) in 2015 and decided to drop out as it was my parents choice not mine

Does this mean that if my university course of choice is 3 years (+1 year gift) allows me 4 years of funding, minus the 4 years of previous scattered study at diffentr levels I will I be entitled to no funding whatsoever?

Sorry for the confusion and thank you for your help 😭

Hi there,

In most cases you'll be entitled to an Advanced Learner Loan so long as you've never had this kind of loan before. From what you've said you haven't, so you should be eligible. To know for sure, please make an application online and the assessors will be able to confirm this.

Also, no - this won't affect your entitlement to funding for an undergraduate course.

Thanks, Graeme
Reply 2
Original post by Graeme SFE
Hi there,

In most cases you'll be entitled to an Advanced Learner Loan so long as you've never had this kind of loan before. From what you've said you haven't, so you should be eligible. To know for sure, please make an application online and the assessors will be able to confirm this.

Also, no - this won't affect your entitlement to funding for an undergraduate course.

Thanks, Graeme

I’ve applied a week ago and now waiting for confirmation! Thank you! hopefully all goes well 🤞🏻
Original post by Vis a Vis
I’ve applied a week ago and now waiting for confirmation! Thank you! hopefully all goes well 🤞🏻

You're welcome!
Have a nice day!
Thanks,
Claire

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending