The Student Room Group

Am I wasting the money by spending it on this?

Hi I turned 18 a couple of weeks ago and just got access to my child trust fund. Turns out I have just under £800 in there. I’ve never had this much money before in my life so I’m really happy about it
I’ve decided to take all the money out and now I’m thinking about what to do with it

A part of me wants to buy an iPad for digital art, i wanted a drawing tablet for years but never got one because it was so expensive. I can finally get one now

But it’s also looking like I’m going to have to resist my a level exams or do an access to HE course (shoddy attendance cuz of homelessness + mental illness) which I’ll have to pay for.

I don’t know how much these will cost and I’m applying for pip, going to try apply for jobs too. Do I spend on a drawing tablet (would cost around 500) or save for my education :frown:
(edited 12 months ago)
Reply 1
Hi. Happy Birthday. Are you not eligible for a advance learner loan for the Access course? This gets written off if/when you complete a higher education degree?

This way you can study and get your ipad
Reply 2
Original post by Aufbau
Hi. Happy Birthday. Are you not eligible for an advance learner loan for the Access course? This gets written off if/when you complete a higher education degree?

This way you can study and get your ipad

hi thanks, I haven’t heard of this loan before. I was planning on taking a gap year before applying to university in all honesty.

I do think I’ll be eligible for it if I apply, would it still be written of if I decided to do a degree apprenticeship?
Reply 3
Student Finance England will ‘write off’ any outstanding Advanced Learner Loan balances you owe for an Access to HE course once you complete a higher education course. This means you do not have to repay it.

The higher education course must be eligible for student finance.

It is through Student finance England.

https://www.gov.uk/advanced-learner-loan#:~:text=Student%20Finance%20England%20will%20'write,be%20eligible%20for%20student%20finance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending