The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Do I need to do an EPQ if it is on my UCAS form, but not as part of the offer?

When I submitted my UCAS, I included in my PS my EPQ and have an A* predictions in it. I am applying for LSE, UCL, Kings, Durham and Warwick, which none of them actually recognises EPQ as an actual subject. I have received offers from the last three and EPQ is not mentioned. I was wondering if I actually need to complete my EPQ then? Because doing it would literally take up the whole of my xmas holiday.....and if it is not even required, why should I bother?
Definitely complete it. It is good practice for writing essays at uni. I did mine even though none of my unis actually mentioned it and it has made doing my first report so much easier because I had the skills. It is extra points and some unis consider it if you miss the grades by 1 or 2.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by goldyfish
When I submitted my UCAS, I included in my PS my EPQ and have an A* predictions in it. I am applying for LSE, UCL, Kings, Durham and Warwick, which none of them actually recognises EPQ as an actual subject. I have received offers from the last three and EPQ is not mentioned. I was wondering if I actually need to complete my EPQ then? Because doing it would literally take up the whole of my xmas holiday.....and if it is not even required, why should I bother?

You could ask them, but as you mentioned it, then it became part of your application.

I dont think you need to do it if its not part of the offer, but if you drop a grade, then they will look less kindly if they find out something you said you were doing an was positive you later dropped, compared to getting a good grade in it.

1. Ask them.
2. then its a possible gamble v making sure you get the main grades.
Reply 3
Original post by DrawTheLine
Definitely complete it. It is good practice for writing essays at uni. I did mine even though none of my unis actually mentioned it and it has made doing my first report so much easier because I had the skills. It is extra points and some unis consider it if you miss the grades by 1 or 2.

Thanks for your reply :biggrin: I actually really want to do my EPQ because it is on a very interesting topic which I have chosen. But I am just currently really behind on all my works and need to do a serious amount of catching up this christmas. Completing an EPQ will just take up the majority of my christmas holiday, as I am quite far off from completing...
Reply 4
Original post by 999tigger
You could ask them, but as you mentioned it, then it became part of your application.

I dont think you need to do it if its not part of the offer, but if you drop a grade, then they will look less kindly if they find out something you said you were doing an was positive you later dropped, compared to getting a good grade in it.

1. Ask them.
2. then its a possible gamble v making sure you get the main grades.

That is a fair point, the problem is, LSE and UCL are my top 2 and they haven't responded yet(I don't think they will until next Jan/Feb), so I was just worried that what if they come back to me in Feb asking for an EPQ, I would be screwed...

I phoned up UCL and LSE, both said that EPQ does not form part of the offer, I was too cautious to mention the not completing EPQ bit, I know this sounds naive, but I fear that they will remember me and give me an offer with an EPQ:colondollar:
Original post by goldyfish
That is a fair point, the problem is, LSE and UCL are my top 2 and they haven't responded yet(I don't think they will until next Jan/Feb), so I was just worried that what if they come back to me in Feb asking for an EPQ, I would be screwed...

I phoned up UCL and LSE, both said that EPQ does not form part of the offer, I was too cautious to mention the not completing EPQ bit, I know this sounds naive, but I fear that they will remember me and give me an offer with an EPQ:colondollar:

If thye dont consider it then it wont be part of the formal offer. It normally mentions on websites if they are considered and how they regard them.

Thats the risk you take.

No matter if you get an A* EPQ, then it will be much less help than getting the right grades in the first place. I highly doubt it will be included as an offer if they dont consider them. Make your choice and stick with it, dont waste time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending