The Student Room Group

Can I drop my EPQ despite writing about it in my personal statement?

My EPQ is becoming too much to handle for me as I have more important things to do. I wanted to know if dropping it would affect me in a negative way in terms of university offers (I have not got any offers for medicine yet but I have for biomedical sciences). I have applied for medicine, and all of my unis do not use EPQ in any way. Thanks
Original post by HPSD123
My EPQ is becoming too much to handle for me as I have more important things to do. I wanted to know if dropping it would affect me in a negative way in terms of university offers (I have not got any offers for medicine yet but I have for biomedical sciences). I have applied for medicine, and all of my unis do not use EPQ in any way. Thanks

Did you list in in your qualifications or just mention it in your PS?
Reply 2
Original post by Admit-One

Hi if I seny my ucas and put EPQ on but I want to drop it I've got all reply back and none need EPQ but someone told me that I will need to redo my ucas again.is this true?
Reply 3
Original post by HPSD123

For medical schools, you need to contact them to discuss as decisions may be made that include your EPQ even if it is not on any offer, eg as part of a tiebreaker. Most are not going to mind if you drop it, but still like to be able to consider it. I have no idea about biomed
Original post by Bobing
Hi if I seny my ucas and put EPQ on but I want to drop it I've got all reply back and none need EPQ but someone told me that I will need to redo my ucas again.is this true?

As per PQ's reply here, you just need to contact your uni choices and get some kind of written confirmation that they have no issue with your dropping it. There is no need to redo your application.
Reply 5
Original post by HPSD123

I think if you've just mentioned how working on an EPQ helped you or gave you insight that should be okay but I'm not sure. i had a slightly different situation in which i had included information about my DofE award which i had taken part in but not finished. to be on the safe side i removed that section of the statement entirely. i think its better to replace it with something else you're proud of rather than worrying they think you are applying under false pretenses.
Original post by LornaPS
I think if you've just mentioned how working on an EPQ helped you or gave you insight that should be okay but I'm not sure. i had a slightly different situation in which i had included information about my DofE award which i had taken part in but not finished. to be on the safe side i removed that section of the statement entirely. i think its better to replace it with something else you're proud of rather than worrying they think you are applying under false pretenses.

The thread starter here has already submitted their application, so won't be able to amend their statement.
Reply 7

The thread starter here has already submitted their application, so won't be able to amend their statement.

Ah i see, then I agree with others, contact your university
Reply 8

I have put it in my qualifications
Original post by HPSD123
I have put it in my qualifications

In that case you need to email all your choices to confirm whether it would affect your existing offer if you dropped it.

In nearly all cases it won't make any difference, but you need something in writing to that effect.
Reply 10
Original post by HPSD123

You need to contact the Unis you have applied to and ask if they are okay with you dropping it. Many top unis, including Oxbridge, will not reduce grade requirements if you have an EPQ, but they do still consider it as part of your application as it demonstrates independent learning and research skills, and contributes towards the supercuiculars that they like to see if it is in a relevant topic. I'm assuming it will be the same for medical schools. You should hopefully be fine to drop it, but you need to ask.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending