The Student Room Group

Have I been thrown in at the deep end in this new job?

I'm so sorry for the length of this! But it tells you everything! I will give rep for all answers to say thank you!

Hey! I went to Uni to study photography/graphic design, but it hasn't really worked out with a job in that area. I've applied for a tonne of jobs in the media sector and either get; no reply, I'm told I don't have enough experience (when they won't give me any!), or it's a no.

I previously worked in retail until around 2 weeks ago.

It was my first ever job. I loved the people, and I had been promoted, and was told I could easily work my way up to being a manager and so on.

I didn't want to get "stuck" though, and I wanted to try something different. I've always been interested in transport, so applied for a job at the local train station.

My first day was on Monday. I hadn't any training. I was shown the fire exits/evacuation points and how to get to the staff areas etc. Then that was it. He said "we're a bit short staffed". It's working on the ticket barriers, and I was given a pass, and basically had to start helping people.

Being from retail, I was being helpful and friendly to people. Everyone was fine with me. I've travelled by train quite a bit, but don't know everything. People were then asking me things like what platform they had to go to, or what trains they had to catch to places I'd never even heard of. I kept asking the people working with me, but could tell some were getting a bit fed up of me.

I then had to go for a company welcome for the next few days. Not training, but corporate stuff. Yesterday was my 2nd day at the ticket barriers (again, with no training). I did the same as I had done on Monday. But this time, I stepped back a bit to see how the staff in my group were dealing with customers. I was also stood with someone to sort of "shadow" him I guess. It was short staffed again, and I was told by the supervisor that I "need to be more involved" and ask customers if they're okay etc. Thing is, a lot of them were commuters and wanted quick answers about platforms and I did my best to read the departure boards, you could tell they were getting annoyed with me!

Someones bag got stuck in the barrier gates. I watched someone else push the barrier doors open to release someones bag. About half an hour later, I seen someone stuck and did the same. I then got shouted at saying I should be pressing a button to open the barriers rather than pushing them... yet I didn't know anything about this!

I also got told off for spending too much time with some customers. They were elderly, and so I spoke to them quite a bit. In my old job, I always spoke to elderly people more because I always thought they might be on their own, or have no family, and that they needed a smile!

Do you think I've been thrown in a bit here? Or is this standard in jobs? I just almost feel like someone's given me a car, I've had no lessons, I don't know how to drive it, and they've said "don't crash it".

Was it reasonable I was told I need to be more involved? and shouted at?

If I'm honest, I just want my old job back!
Yeah I reckon they’re being a bit harsh, talk to a senior and ask about the possibility of training/more shadowing. Also you could try and just find more out about the area and where trains are likely to go so you are slightly more knowledgeable
Somewhat standard. You need to learn on the job and ideally you'd have lots of support but that's not always the case, especially if they're understaffed as you say.
Original post by Student-95
Somewhat standard. You need to learn on the job and ideally you'd have lots of support but that's not always the case, especially if they're understaffed as you say.

How I feel though... they might as well have just stopped a member of the public, gave a pass to them, and told them to start helping customers on the ticket barriers.

At least some training on what to do if they break or if the software fails on them would be helpful :frown:
I think it is normal to feel this way - give it some time and you should get used to the procedures and duties. I do think retail is a different type of job to this. Retail - you would spend more time to talk to customers in order to encourage sales, but working in transport, you want to help maintain an efficient and seamless system. You can be polite and make small talk, but not spend too long conversing with customers.
Original post by cheesecakelove
I think it is normal to feel this way - give it some time and you should get used to the procedures and duties. I do think retail is a different type of job to this. Retail - you would spend more time to talk to customers in order to encourage sales, but working in transport, you want to help maintain an efficient and seamless system. You can be polite and make small talk, but not spend too long conversing with customers.

That's true. :frown:

Maybe I should just go back to retail!
Original post by 2scotty
That's true. :frown:

Maybe I should just go back to retail!

I would say give this job a chance before you quit. You have only just started, and you might find as you get used to it, you might enjoy it more. If you still feel the same, then your experience would help you return to retail if you still want to. I think I remember you posting on here before about this position?
I would say give this job a chance before you quit. You have only just started, and you might find as you get used to it, you might enjoy it more. If you still feel the same, then your experience would help you return to retail if you still want to. I think I remember you posting on here before about this position?

My only concerns at the moment... it's basically standing in the cold all day at the ticket barriers. It's a big station so I thought it would be busy and constant so it would be fine, but it goes quite quiet at times and I just thought I'd rather be at my old job. Someone my age who has only been there for 3 weeks, told me he's had enough already and said it's boring! He said he's asked to move to a different section.

I was quite happy in my old job. It was just everyone was going on at me saying I was better than retail, but if I'm honest, I was quite happy. In retail, the wage isn't too good, but i'd rather be happy in a job, rather than being unhappy and paid more.

My old manager said if for any reason things didn't work out, she'd have me back... on the same hours, same position, immediately. My old store manager also said the same to me.

My dream was always a job in photography. If I could turn back time, I wish I stayed at my old job, and kept going with it there until I found my more dream job.
Original post by 2scotty
My only concerns at the moment... it's basically standing in the cold all day at the ticket barriers. It's a big station so I thought it would be busy and constant so it would be fine, but it goes quite quiet at times and I just thought I'd rather be at my old job. Someone my age who has only been there for 3 weeks, told me he's had enough already and said it's boring! He said he's asked to move to a different section.

I was quite happy in my old job. It was just everyone was going on at me saying I was better than retail, but if I'm honest, I was quite happy. In retail, the wage isn't too good, but i'd rather be happy in a job, rather than being unhappy and paid more.

My old manager said if for any reason things didn't work out, she'd have me back... on the same hours, same position, immediately. My old store manager also said the same to me.

My dream was always a job in photography. If I could turn back time, I wish I stayed at my old job, and kept going with it there until I found my more dream job.

I remember you saying that you were in interested in transport and there was scope for career progress and a higher wage, which is why I encouraged you to go for the transport job. What are your actual duties? Do you have potential to move aside to a different department?

Like I also said, if things don't work out you can always return to retail. As least you know you tried. It is good that you are on good terms with your old manager too.

Have you thought of starting a photography business if that is where your true passion lies. You could set up a website or a blog showing a portfolio of your best shots. You could do this alongside your retail/transport job.
they're being harsh but I doubt there is much more they can do if they are understaffed
I remember you saying that you were in interested in transport and there was scope for career progress and a higher wage, which is why I encouraged you to go for the transport job. What are your actual duties? Do you have potential to move aside to a different department?

Like I also said, if things don't work out you can always return to retail. As least you know you tried. It is good that you are on good terms with your old manager too.

Have you thought of starting a photography business if that is where your true passion lies. You could set up a website or a blog showing a portfolio of your best shots. You could do this alongside your retail/transport job.

I thought I was interested in transport, but maybe it was more than I enjoyed travelling? (Like actually travelling to places on the trains? I always loved travelling by train to find some nice scenery and photograph it!). Maybe I liked travelling/transport more as leisure rather than work?

If I'm honest, what I'd love to do right now, is leave with immediate effect from the new job - I honestly wouldn't care if they didn't pay me, go back to the old job, and with no stress, I'd actually be able to focus on getting into photography, and setting up a website/portfolio now that I've got a car.

My old manager cried when I gave my notice in. My line manager, the manager above her, as well as the manager above him (the store manager), all told me I'd be welcomed back at any time.

At this new job, you need to stay in the position for 6 months until you can change sections. If I'm honest, I really don't want to even be working there another 6 weeks. Let alone 6 months...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending