The Student Room Group

I'm a second year student but want to change courses.

I'm currently a second year student and it's been halfway through the year already but I want to change courses since I hate my current one so much, it doesn't suit me at all after going through this year so far.

I have to start from first year again if I want to switch, and I'm not sure how the funding works at this point. I know you only get an extra year of funding plus the number of years the course has (in this case, 3 years for me) and since I've pretty much used up 2 years already, does it mean I have to self-fund for my final year? I've been trying to contact SF but they haven't got to me yet.

The next tuition fee loan comes in Feb which is in just under 2 months time and I don't see the point paying the uni for my second semester if I don't wanna do it anymore. Since mine is a private institution as well I'd be paying £600 out of my own pocket for nothing. Is there a way to put the fees on halt (as stupid as it sounds) or anything like that or would I have to just carry on my current course and finish it, and then reapply?

Thank you x
Original post by chwieun
I'm currently a second year student and it's been halfway through the year already but I want to change courses since I hate my current one so much, it doesn't suit me at all after going through this year so far.

I have to start from first year again if I want to switch, and I'm not sure how the funding works at this point. I know you only get an extra year of funding plus the number of years the course has (in this case, 3 years for me) and since I've pretty much used up 2 years already, does it mean I have to self-fund for my final year? I've been trying to contact SF but they haven't got to me yet.

The next tuition fee loan comes in Feb which is in just under 2 months time and I don't see the point paying the uni for my second semester if I don't wanna do it anymore. Since mine is a private institution as well I'd be paying £600 out of my own pocket for nothing. Is there a way to put the fees on halt (as stupid as it sounds) or anything like that or would I have to just carry on my current course and finish it, and then reapply?

Thank you x

You are along the right lines.

Funding is for degree length +1 gift year.

You will count as having used two. So your status is degree length -1.

That means they will fund you from year 2 onwards and you have to find first year tuition fees yourself. the shortfall is always applied to the beginning of the course.

The only way to get round this is if you have a compelling personal reason and they accept the reason you left was due to some major family or personal crisis. It helps if its supported by a GP i.e depression.
If you have good evidence then you can make a claim to get that years funding restored. That could be a solution...

As for leaving this year, then you hint at a private institution. Be aware of the withdrawal procedure. Read the terms and check how much of the total fee they will want. Most public unis will only charge you a % of annual fees based on when you leave. Some private institutions attempt to charge 100%. Go and see a student advisor or do your research.

The time to have left was end of first year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending