The Student Room Group

Transferring uni for second year.

Hello, I’m just looking for advice. I just finished my first year of university but it wasn’t what I expected and I really don’t enjoy the place I am living. I want to move back home to another uni for second year, however I’m turning 23 and I feel like my age it makes it harder to make friends and as it’s second year every one will have their groups of friends already. Has any one transferred for second year, any advice would be appreciated thank you.
Original post by Anonymous
Hello, I’m just looking for advice. I just finished my first year of university but it wasn’t what I expected and I really don’t enjoy the place I am living. I want to move back home to another uni for second year, however I’m turning 23 and I feel like my age it makes it harder to make friends and as it’s second year every one will have their groups of friends already. Has any one transferred for second year, any advice would be appreciated thank you.

Hi Anon,

I'm sorry to hear that your first year wasn't what you expected, but it's great that you're considering other options.

I personally haven't transferred for second year, but in regards to the age difference and everyone having their groups of friends already - I wouldn't worry! A lot of people are older than the expected age for their year, and I actually made friends with a range of people when I was in my first year, and it didn't make a difference/wasn't weird. I'm sure you'll be able to find other students who are the same age as you, and maybe even transferred themselves.

Everyone may have friends already, but I'm sure you'll be okay finding friends of your own. You'll have the chance to meet people on your course, in your accommodation (if you choose to live on campus), and at events such as Welcome Week (you're not too old to attend!), and in any sports, societies, clubs, work, or volunteering you decide to get involved in.

Good luck, and I hope this helps!
Isabella
Original post by Anonymous

Hey!

I actually transferred from UEA to Kent after my first year due to some personal issues, so hopefully can give some insight in to this!

Firstly, whilst making friends won't be as easy as it is in the first year (normally in first year everyone wants to be friends with everyone), you will definitely still have opportunities to make friends on your course. One of the most natural ways I made friends after transferring was just through group work in seminars etc. Whilst a lot of people do have friend groups after the first year like you said, I found that your friendships do change over time and people are generally very welcoming to having new friends. Some of the friends I made this way I still have now, and I've since finished my undergrad and master's degree, so it's definitely possible to make long-lasting friends just on your course!

Another thing that actually helped me was emailing the university beforehand, and they actually matched me up with someone who had also transferred into the second year from another uni on my course (I know this was probably quite a rare instance - but you could also do this with people on other courses, or even just join the university's buddy system in general). You can also definitely make friends by joining societies! In terms of age, I really wouldn't worry, one of my closest friends during my undergrad was actually 24 at the time; you're still fairly close in age to everyone so shouldn't make too much of a difference! Also, if you're living at home you'll have access to home friends too, so you won't be alone while making the transition :smile:

I hope this eases your mind a little bit and if you have anything else you want to ask about transferring, let me know!

Natalie
University of Kent Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending