The Student Room Group

Turnitin Wordcount- help!

I've had a lot of deadlines recently and on Friday I submitted an essay thinking it was under the word count. (I put as such on the cover sheet).

Writing another essay I've realised my preference for footnotes to be included in wordcount has been reset. I panicked, and realised that the other essay was now over the wordcount. Turnitin doesn't count footnotes, but will my lecturer realise that I have exceeded the wordcount anyway?

Is it worth asking the lecturer if I can edit it down to avoid the penalty as it was a genuine mistake? Or should I just hope he doesn't notice...

The thing I am worried about is the fact that my cover sheet says I was under to word count, and beneath this is some statement saying "by submitting this I affirm the wordcount is accurate". Could I get in trouble for accidentally misreporting the wordcount? If so I would rather come clean and suffer the penalty, then look as if I was trying to pass off my work as under the wordcount when it was not.

I am quite worried about this so any help would be appreciated!
Original post by Nomes24
I've had a lot of deadlines recently and on Friday I submitted an essay thinking it was under the word count. (I put as such on the cover sheet).

Writing another essay I've realised my preference for footnotes to be included in wordcount has been reset. I panicked, and realised that the other essay was now over the wordcount. Turnitin doesn't count footnotes, but will my lecturer realise that I have exceeded the wordcount anyway?

Is it worth asking the lecturer if I can edit it down to avoid the penalty as it was a genuine mistake? Or should I just hope he doesn't notice...

The thing I am worried about is the fact that my cover sheet says I was under to word count, and beneath this is some statement saying "by submitting this I affirm the wordcount is accurate". Could I get in trouble for accidentally misreporting the wordcount? If so I would rather come clean and suffer the penalty, then look as if I was trying to pass off my work as under the wordcount when it was not.

I am quite worried about this so any help would be appreciated!

Contact the module lead and see what they have to say. It sounds like a genuine mistake which happens :smile:
Original post by alleycat393
Contact the module lead and see what they have to say. It sounds like a genuine mistake which happens :smile:

Yeah I have done, hopefully he is okay about it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending