The Student Room Group

Turnitin confusion at uni help plz

I handed in my assignment on marx and did the referencing as normal, did the footnotes correctly with links to them and did the bibliography right as well. I handed it in the other day and it went through turnitin etc and then I look back on it and its saying 23%. I click to see and for some reason its highlighted all the references I made and connecting them to other sources even though they come from the same source. iT even claimed that I made a same thing as wikipedia I NEVER used wiki ever and did my bibliography and it just so happens to be my words in the bibliography are the same as the wiki one which i never used or copied. Does this mean I could get penalised?? I looked back on my previous essays done from seemster 1 and this has never ever come up before and I've used links and done my referencing all correctly in the same way. Idk whats happening?? This is the first time it has happened and idk whats up with turnitin??
Reply 1
It's normal for it to pick up on references, don't worry. It is more surprising that this hasn't happened before.
Original post by Anonymous #1
I handed in my assignment on marx and did the referencing as normal, did the footnotes correctly with links to them and did the bibliography right as well. I handed it in the other day and it went through turnitin etc and then I look back on it and its saying 23%. I click to see and for some reason its highlighted all the references I made and connecting them to other sources even though they come from the same source. iT even claimed that I made a same thing as wikipedia I NEVER used wiki ever and did my bibliography and it just so happens to be my words in the bibliography are the same as the wiki one which i never used or copied. Does this mean I could get penalised?? I looked back on my previous essays done from seemster 1 and this has never ever come up before and I've used links and done my referencing all correctly in the same way. Idk whats happening?? This is the first time it has happened and idk whats up with turnitin??
Hi there

It is actually quite normal for Turnitin to pick up on these things. I would not worry about it though. (Sometimes, my similarity rate will be much higher than that, although I did not use the sources either). So as long as you know that you have obtained information properly and referenced them, it will not result in you losing marks.

I hope this helps.
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hello there,

I've encountered a similar situation before, and here's a suggestion that might help you ease your concerns. Turnitin sometimes flags similarities in references. To get a more accurate reflection of your work, try adjusting the settings in Turnitin to filter out quotes and references. There's usually an option for that. Once you've filtered them out, you'll see the actual similarity percentage, excluding the reference list.

I've found this to be reassuring in situations where references were unnecessarily highlighted. Remember, if you've referenced properly and your work is original, there's usually nothing to worry about. Hope this helps, and don't hesitate to reach out if you have more questions!

Cheers,
Shri (MSc International Business Student).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending