The Student Room Group

Can't choose which english

Anyone who is doing / has done the English lit / Lang combined a level course give me any info on the difficulty/ content of course? I am trying to choose between combined and just literature
Thanks!
Original post by Pearlwt
Anyone who is doing / has done the English lit / Lang combined a level course give me any info on the difficulty/ content of course? I am trying to choose between combined and just literature
Thanks!

It’s hugely personal - I much much prefer just literature over language, language bores me endlessly!

(This is hugely personal experience) but my friends who take combined say the workload is worse, whereas with just Literature if you get your head down and work hard it won’t seem daunting.
English Literature is considered a 'Facilitating Subject' i.e. one of the subjects the Russell Group unis like. There are plenty of other really good universities, but if you are likely to want to apply to so called 'top' uni you may be better choosing English Literature.
(edited 6 years ago)
Don't pick a subject simply because it looks better to unis, there isn't really enough difference. Pick the subject you think you'll get the highest grade in.

As a disclaimer I don't think I know anyone who actively likes any of the subjects, but I know people who do them separately and combined:

I hated English Lit. This is likely due to teaching and mental health stuff (I have anxiety and I had six teachers over the year I took Eng Lit) but I found it really difficult compared to my other subjects and while I like reading and studying books, I hated writing the essays and studying Victorian poetry

I have a friend who does Eng Lang, he finds it really tedious. He says it's quite easy, but finds that the language techniques and the developmental stuff is all really dull

I have a friend who does LangLit, she likes it (but hates her teacher) and mostly her enjoyment is just based on which thing she's studying, because she hates the Lang aspect but loves the Lit aspect

Quick Reply

Latest