The Student Room Group

Work experience in a hospital

Scroll to see replies

Tbh I'm currently volunteering as a ward assistant in a hospital and even though, yes it often is just pushing the food trolley around, you shouldn't dismiss it because it's great for patient contact and also talking to other health professionals. Imagine being in a hospital environment long-term as opposed to just a couple of days work experience- after settling in, you'd get to see far more of what doctors/nurses do and how a hospital in run than in a couple of days. The staff there also said to me that if I ever have any questions about medicine I can always ask someone, as everyone's very friendly, and that they can also help with getting some shadowing etc. You're actually part of a team rather than just stuck on the side even if you're directly observing, which to me seems a lot better - you can actually get some hands on experience, and you're actually doing good for people.
It's pretty invaluable, and I'm finding it really interesting so far.
Why not? The human body is amazing and to see it live and functioning would be a phenomenom, don't you agree?
I've considered radiology and even tried to get some experience but I'm under 18 which makes it difficult
Original post by eringracesutton
Why not? The human body is amazing and to see it live and functioning would be a phenomenom, don't you agree?

Massively oversimplified :biggrin:
Wolverhampton West Midlands

Have you got a week at Russells Hall Hospital? I went there, and it's very good.
Which hospital is that may I ask? Also, do you think if i email my local hospital and asked them if there's any chances of them bending the rules for me that they could?
Haha that's fine! Yeah i suppose that's true :frown:
Which hospital is that may I ask? Also, do you think if i email my local hospital and asked them if there's any chances of them bending the rules for me that they could?

In my work experience I was able to go into the theatre and observe some procedures (lap chole, Altmeier's (eugh), etc.). However, I arranged it after my 17th birthday to make sure that I would be allowed in as they don't allow 16 yr olds in.
Original post by niamh787
Tbh I'm currently volunteering as a ward assistant in a hospital and even though, yes it often is just pushing the food trolley around, you shouldn't dismiss it because it's great for patient contact and also talking to other health professionals. Imagine being in a hospital environment long-term as opposed to just a couple of days work experience- after settling in, you'd get to see far more of what doctors/nurses do and how a hospital in run than in a couple of days. The staff there also said to me that if I ever have any questions about medicine I can always ask someone, as everyone's very friendly, and that they can also help with getting some shadowing etc. You're actually part of a team rather than just stuck on the side even if you're directly observing, which to me seems a lot better - you can actually get some hands on experience, and you're actually doing good for people.
It's pretty invaluable, and I'm finding it really interesting so far.

Thank you so much. I'm going to apply to volunteer for definite now.
Original post by GrandExecutioner
In my work experience I was able to go into the theatre and observe some procedures (lap chole, Altmeier's (eugh), etc.). However, I arranged it after my 17th birthday to make sure that I would be allowed in as they don't allow 16 yr olds in.

My hospital specifies 18 to observe surgery :frown:
Thank you so much. I'm going to apply to volunteer for definite now.

Good luck ! :-)
is anyone knowing of being able to start volunteering at birmingham childrens hospital? sent them an application a while back but no reply :frown:
Reply 32
Original post by a-spiringmedic
is anyone knowing of being able to start volunteering at birmingham childrens hospital? sent them an application a while back but no reply :frown:

Did u spell ur name right?
Original post by Onager
Did u spell ur name right?

....yes?
Original post by MiszShortee786
but I got a very good advantage of inserting cannula(Supervision)

That sounds exceedingly dodgy. Who on earth allowed you to do that as a food trolley volunteer?
Original post by Etomidate
That sounds exceedingly dodgy. Who on earth allowed you to do that as a food trolley volunteer?

I wasn't a food trolley volunteer. I'm a general volunteer wherever they require me I'm there like like a HCA.
Hi just to say i remember when i applied 2 years ago it was tricky to get work experience. however at the stage you guys are at its not actually necessary to get work experience in surgery for example as long as you have some form of medical work experience and you reflect on it thats whats required because going into surgery yeah its real but really it doesn't explain the role of a doctor, and also when it comes to interviews etc ever say "i know for sure that i want to be a surgeon or a gp or whatever" as honestly at this stage you have got no idea what the roles actually entail and what aspects of medicine you'll enjoy as you go through your degree.

Good luck with everything guys!
Original post by MiszShortee786
I wasn't a food trolley volunteer. I'm a general volunteer wherever they require me I'm there like like a HCA.

Volunteers should not be performing invasive procedures on patients. Have you been trained to cannulate? What’s your Hep B status? If you got a needlestick injury, who would be responsible and who would do your occupational care?

One of the essential qualities in medicine is knowing your limits and being safe. This experience probably goes against that, and isn’t one I would be using in an interview!
Original post by Volibear
'Like an HCA' but are you actually an HCA?

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

I am now. 😁
Original post by Etomidate
Volunteers should not be performing invasive procedures on patients. Have you been trained to cannulate? What’s your Hep B status? If you got a needlestick injury, who would be responsible and who would do your occupational care?

One of the essential qualities in medicine is knowing your limits and being safe. This experience probably goes against that, and isn’t one I would be using in an interview!

Yes I was trained to cannulate on a patient. I wasn't doing such actions out of my own accord now was I?

At the end of the day, I was fully aware of the procedures and policies that were in place and I am very continentious of the fact that serious injuries could occur. Hence why I never minded that a qualified nurse was hovering above me. It gave me the experience that I required at the time. 😃

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending