The Student Room Group

Stranger heard a student talking about their Cambridge interview and this happened...

As many of you may be doing, thousands of students across the UK, and indeed the world, are waiting for their Oxbridge interview,

One candidate, Joe Wren was talking about his interview when a stranger on the train handed him an envelope with £10 enclosed as well as a heart warming note which read

"Hello.

We haven't even spoken but I really wanted to wish you luck with your application to Cambridge. I've not been there but I did a science degree and it changed my life. Please live your dream but don't put too much pressure on yourself - Cambridge would be great but wherever you go and whatever you do, you'll do a great service to the world.

Love yourself and others and be generous, and in exchange is a small token of how I believe great students like you should have the chance to study the world. Last month I contributed a tiny sum to a Kickstarter to a powerful telescope that has an image intensifier and allows us to see distant galaxies. There is so much to know.

Mathematics is a truly beautiful subject - enjoy it and ride the wave.

Best of luck."

Read the full story here.

How lovely is that?!

What are some words of encouragement or advice you've received? Have you done anything kind for a stranger or a stranger for you?
Reply 1
Original post by Danny Dorito
As many of you may be doing, thousands of students across the UK, and indeed the world, are waiting for their Oxbridge interview,

One candidate, Joe Wren was talking about his interview when a stranger on the train handed him an envelope with £10 enclosed as well as a heart warming note which read

"Hello.

We haven't even spoken but I really wanted to wish you luck with your application to Cambridge. I've not been there but I did a science degree and it changed my life. Please live your dream but don't put too much pressure on yourself - Cambridge would be great but wherever you go and whatever you do, you'll do a great service to the world.

Love yourself and others and be generous, and in exchange is a small token of how I believe great students like you should have the chance to study the world. Last month I contributed a tiny sum to a Kickstarter to a powerful telescope that has an image intensifier and allows us to see distant galaxies. There is so much to know.

Best of luck."

How lovely is that?!

What are some words of encouragement or advice you've received? Have you done anything kind for a stranger or a stranger for you?

Aww! That's awesome!

Spoiler

Reply 2

"Hello.

Best of luck."

How lovely is that?!

As an international student, I couldn't find the bus that goes from Heathrow to Oxford, but I met a kind old man who too wanted to stop at Oxford who showed me where to stop/get tickets. After talking to him, I found that he went to Oxford and studied at the same college that I applied for. It was a very brief chat but he gave very kind words of encouragement and it greatly impacted me when I was kind of stressed out about not arriving to Oxford in time, let alone finding the bus there at all. :smile:
Original post by dkb73
As an international student, I couldn't find the bus that goes from Heathrow to Oxford, but I met a kind old man who too wanted to stop at Oxford who showed me where to stop/get tickets. After talking to him, I found that he went to Oxford and studied at the same college that I applied for. It was a very brief chat but he gave very kind words of encouragement and it greatly impacted me when I was kind of stressed out about not arriving to Oxford in time, let alone finding the bus there at all. :smile:

Ah that's so lovely! It's amazing that a small effort from one person can make a world of difference. Hope you're interview well :smile:
Well, at least this time its not BBC news.
Original post by Bill Nye
Well, at least this time its not BBC news.

Thought I'd mix it up a bit y'know
And on my train ride on the way back from my Cambridge interview I got tutted then glared at because I sat on a woman's coat by accident...
Original post by dkb73

Such a wonderful story, thank you for sharing! Sending best wishes :smile:
Original post by Rex Onocrotalus
And on my train ride on the way back from my Cambridge interview I got tutted then glared at because I sat on a woman's coat by accident...

wow so inspiring
That's so lovely! :love:
I was talking to my friend as we were heading up to our Cambridge interviews and this academic started talking to us! He was an academic in Islamic studies and said how he applied to Oxford but got rejected and now has published his own book! It made me feel like no matter where we did our language degree, we could still go far in life and at the end of the day Oxbridge is just a name, there are many universities that are just as good if not better for certain areas!
it was the least i could do

:h:
almost clicked the link but then I saw it linked to the independent newspaper, the new Buzz Feed of the trump era. so quickly exited
I think it's the way that the gesture was pro-active, rather than re-active. That's what makes something so touching.:yep:

"Hello.

Best of luck."

How lovely is that?!

and then the 10 pound note and letter envelope clapped

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending