The Student Room Group

A level Chinese

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jamiepango
Ah I see. I was thinking about doing festivals but my teacher at chinese school said that it would be quite hard to find quotes and stuff. So we decided to do a film so that we could refer to it and use some quotes from it.

I guess your question would want you to develop your own idea and understanding of why we celebrate festivals. Maybe you could give it a personal touch and say why the festival matters so much to you? I am not an expert though; so don't take my word for it.

Did you do AS last year, if your school didn't offer it? Don't worry about being the only one at your centre, I am too! Haha where are all the BBC's?! :wink:

I'd be happy to help, but be aware that I find chinese just as difficult as everyone else! Haha

PM me if you want to :smile:

Oh your doing a film one? interesting, I just didn't want to do anything along the lines of a film/ poem ...even though quotations would of been a good idea to put in the essay.

The thing with festival is that you don't really require quotations, as it's more a in depth knowledge thing..like analyzing and explaining why. Your film one might be more like English essays, like the ones you did in GCSE, of the Shakespeare ones where you had to take quotes, to gain the highest possible mark...

No I didn't do AS last year. You can give me tips on that. Speaking is on the 28th April....I looked at the exam papers for AS and it looks pretty easy, A2 is harder with translation and that dam research essay ¬¬ Translation...literally I'll get 1/10 on that section XP

What did you get overall for AS in UMS in each unit? Like for speaking (unit 1) and unit 2.... I have to get an A in this, as I need it for my offer!

Oooo yeah I did put my personal feelings towards the festival essay too ^^ Ahhh! I wished my chinese school was as good as yours! My teacher is appalling, me and my friends showed him a A* essay in writing, gained 30/30...taken off the actual exams website and he gave it a C! I mean seriously!

Hahaha, well all the BBCs in my school can't even speak, write , read or listen to chinese that well... the native HK ones did it when they were in year 11 XP

Woo go us, with the fact we're BBCs so we struggle with chinese ><
Omg don't get me started on the translation...

So you're doing AS and A2 in the same year? That's gonna be tough, but you'll be fine :smile:
The speaking should be fine if you speak it at home. Make sure you talk for the full 6 minutes, and make sure you develop your ideas. If you have already practised with your teacher you should be fine. Use the 15 minutes preparation time to jot down all your notes. Some people put the pronounciations in, but I just find writing in english and translating it when you say it is easier.

I got 29/30 for the speaking and 62/70 for the reading, writing and listening, so 91% overall. Just make sure you do well in the speaking because as you said, those are where the easy marks are.

Which school are you with? Mine is the Woking Association one. My whole class is practically BBC's, with maybe a couple from HK.

I wish you luck! Let me know how you get on :smile:

Wow you did amazing! hahah I hope to get grades like yours..
I know it's really gay how my Chinese school started it a year late ¬¬
Yeah...I thought you could speak up to 5-6 minutes?
I was planning to go up to five? because the one on the internet sample only went up to five and got 30/30....but depends on what you speak on and how you develop it I guess..
Yeah I've practiced in exam conditions....15 minute prep...only can write on one side A4 paper, which I wish was more as my handwriting is quite big! XD
I'm hoping to get most marks in AS, then drop a few on translation in A2 xD

Because if you get A* standard in AS, then you can get a B in A2 and still come out with

I'm with the Chinese school at Sheffield... my whole class is like all native HK/ Macau/ Malay people....like around 3-4 BBC's no fair because they're obviously going to be amazing! ><
Higher than A level standard!

Aww thanks! I hope you do amazing in A2 as well and get an A*/A! Woo!
It's 5-6 minutes but use the full time because that gives the examiners a chance to see you can speak the language fluently!

Ahh Sheffield :smile: I'm guessing yours is on a saturday as well? I'm looking forward to never going back again after my exam :biggrin: Unless I decide to do a mandarin course... hehe

We will both do amazing and both get A/A* :biggrin:

Noo mines on sunday xP
Hahah I'm just looking forward in NEVER having the same chinese teacher again..
I had him for GCSE and he kept giving me like C/D grades...
then I came out with A*...dont like him, just downgrades myself!

Haha, which stimulus did you get last year? For my mock exam we did the 2010 one and I had that language course one,about a language summer camp...

I'm hoping they give me a decent stimulus! :smile:

Hope so! Then I'll avoid the increase in tuition fees next year.
Your in year 12 right? Feel sorry for you! D:
Wow I'd hate to have your teacher..

My stimulus was on eyes, so I had to talk about glasses, what we do to prevent short-sightedness, and why so many people in China have glasses haha

I know, but that's life! Which uni(s) have you applied to/recieved offers for? And what are you looking to study at uni?

Oh that stimulus! My friend had that one! It wasn't a bad stimulus! Could relate all health stuff into it which if you ramble you should get it up to 6 minutes ;D

I applied for dentistry + dental hygiene (backup) this year in UCAS.
For the universities of:
B'ham
Manchester
Liverpool
Leeds
Sheffield

I got 4 rejections, but one offer from Sheffield to do dentistry, WOO! xD
I'm glad I got at least one offer, I know alot of people who didn't even get any offers/ interviews, who still had amazing grades + entrance exams...

Hmm what are you thinking of doing at University? Good job you do more than 3 A levels, I think universities really like people who do more A levels, shows you can handle more xP

Right going to practice on my speaking now + drill on some TVB channel till the exam..

Btw I think I'm changing my research essay to the "Youth Issues" topic, I'm getting so much complications with this moon festival one. The youth one seems easier, talk about game addiction, pressure on china school kids, suicide rates, obesity, problems that the one child policy caused X) Not as much in depth analysis....! :smile:
Hey guys,

Does anyone have a copy of the Edexcel Unit 1 2010 Oral Speaking Cards? My oral is in 2 weeks so freaking out, right about now.

It's on the website, but I can't get it because you need the Login thing. If you know some of the topics from June 2010 it'd be great too.

Thanks!
Reply 245
"a level candidates may not take an as level qualification in the same language in the same session

as level candidates may not take the a level qualification in the same language in the same session"

HEy guys! im planning to sit AS and A-level Chinese all at once in the end of year....does this mean i cannot? ARE THERE ANY SOLUTIONS FOR THIS?? CUZ I REALLY NEED THE ALEVEL MARKS! im in my final year, so i HAVE TO sit them at the same time !!!
Reply 246
Original post by ControversialDetonation
it's on the actual website...edexcel

SECTION D: RESEARCH-BASED ESSAY
4. Write an essay in Chinese of 250–500 characters on ONE of the following 14 topics from
the plan you have prepared.
z Make sure to give your essay an appropriate title
z Please hand in your essay plan with your answer. The essay plan should not exceed 100
characters
z Give a list of sources you have used (while it is not absolutely necessary to cite additional
sources when writing the literary texts, it is essential to list any sources used in the case
of topics)
MODERN CHINESE HISTORY (20TH
CENTURY) 1911-1976
1. Warlords in China
2. The New Cultural Movement (1915-1924)
3. The relationship between the Nationalist and Communist Parties of China (1921-1949)
4. The Great Leap Forward (1958)
5. The Cultural Revolution (1966-76)
GEOGRAPHY OF CHINA
6. The development of ONE of the following cities (Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Hong
Kong or Taipei) in terms of environment, economy or social issues
SOCIETY
7. Han nationality traditions: explaining and analysing the significance of the activities
associated with ONE festival OR custom
8. Women’s issues (1911 to the present)
9. Youth issues OR generation gap issues in modern China
LITERARY TEXTS FILMS
10. Nan Hai 13 (Mad Phoenix) Candidates may use any of the following versions:
Film (leading actor: Xie JunHao) OR Stage play (leading actor: Xie JunHao) OR TV
series (leading actors: Lin Weishen, Chen Qitai)
11. Han Yan Cui (Mist Over Dream Lake) (leading actors: Fang Ying, Chiao Chuang)
LITERARY TEXTS BOOKS
12. Lu Xun: Gu Xiang (My Hometown)
13. Ba Jin: Chun (Spring)
14. Lin Haiyin: Cheng Nan Jiu Shi (Memories of Peking: South Side Stories), focusing on one
or more of the stories

You taking the exam this year? I need help on this research essay bit!

yea me too, im suppose to hand in an essay draft for my teacher but i havent even started.....ive completely forgotten all chinese words after AS paper
Original post by yanb0706
&quot;a level candidates may not take an as level qualification in the same language in the same session

as level candidates may not take the a level qualification in the same language in the same session&quot;

HEy guys! im planning to sit AS and A-level Chinese all at once in the end of year....does this mean i cannot? ARE THERE ANY SOLUTIONS FOR THIS?? CUZ I REALLY NEED THE ALEVEL MARKS! im in my final year, so i HAVE TO sit them at the same time !!!

Hey Im sitting AS chinese and A2 chinese this year....although if you want to enter yourself now you might have to pay triple fees...I don't know why you don't think it's possible, as long as you pay the money you can sit the chinese exam. I'm not sure about speaking ....maybe the deadline for speaking has gone, I think it's somewhere in may, you just have to ask your exams officer
Can you get the A* grade for Chinese A level?
There's a debate about who's classed as Chinese and unfair advantage.

First language? Second language?

People who regularly go to China? Etc

(Not China specifically but all language a levels)
Yeah it is a bit unfair if you're sitting Chinese as a second language when it's not really, but good luck to them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Any more advice on AS Chinese (oral exam)? Are there any online resources to prepare for it?
Original post by Kya_x2
A/S Chinese is eaaaaasy. Really. If you got A* for GCSE Chinese without revising (which is what most of the people at my centre did) then you'd have no problem getting a B in A/S and all you'd have to do is polish up some bits and you're set for a mid-high A.

A2...is a bit different. When I did it two years ago, there was no coursework and it was okay. Not scarily hard. The only parts I revised for were the plots and characters from the text and book (is it still &#30334;&#21512;&#33457; and &#26149;&#65311:wink:, know their relationships with each other and their personalities. So it's like Chinese literature. An A in A-Level Chinese is definitely attainable though.

Could you please recommend any online resources that could help me prepare for the AS Chinese (oral exam).
I listen to many podcasts ... they are like the best thing to improve your listening. the best resource I have found, even from begginer to upper intermediate is CSLpod, they have like over 1000 podcasts and I cannot stop banging on about how good they were for me. I also like learnchinesewithkaela, slow chinese and speakchinesenaturally are very good too. not geared towards exams but they are just very good resources to improve listening and everyday speaking too. you can use your " 碎片化时间" to study, like when youre sitting on the bus to school and use your actual study time to sit down and concentrate on reading etc. podcasts just changed my life basically hahahah ! Good luck!!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending