The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Newcastle University Fine Art Applicants 2018

Scroll to see replies

Original post by madylbaugh
Likewise! Yeah it’s my firm so I’m really anxious to get it through officially haha!! Is it your firm too?

It is my firm as well. You have nothing to be anxious about bcs they have already offered you a place and they wouldn't have done that if they weren't sure about it. I guess we will meet in September :smile:)
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Original post by anaionescu
It is my firm as well. You have nothing to be anxious about bcs they have already offered you a place and they wouldn't have done that if they weren't sure about it. I guess we will meet in September :smile:)

Awesome! Yeah that’s true. Hopefully it comes through soon! Yeah see you in September!!!!
Hey guys, I`m so happy there is a forum for this course, I was really nervous back in Jan to say hi. I`ve got an interview next week - really nervous. I am an older student (20) - been working freelance as an artist for the last two years. Most of my work throughout sixth form and after was done by documenting it into A3 binded black books which acted as a sketch/ documentation book.

I`m really worried that not having the originals in a board layout/portfolio will make a difference to the interview day. My work is basically the documentation books full or prints of the original works and sketches and artist analysis etc. Its a bit like a art book you would get in the Baltic.

I`m not too sure if this is okay?
Original post by allofthestars
Hey guys, I`m so happy there is a forum for this course, I was really nervous back in Jan to say hi. I`ve got an interview next week - really nervous. I am an older student (20) - been working freelance as an artist for the last two years. Most of my work throughout sixth form and after was done by documenting it into A3 binded black books which acted as a sketch/ documentation book.

I`m really worried that not having the originals in a board layout/portfolio will make a difference to the interview day. My work is basically the documentation books full or prints of the original works and sketches and artist analysis etc. Its a bit like a art book you would get in the Baltic.

I`m not too sure if this is okay?

I don’t think it really matters! They lay out all of your work on the table so if u have books then they’ll open them to pages and ask you to talk about your work. I hope yours goes well!

I’ve just had mine, heading home now and honestly, no idea how it went. Can’t really tell so I’m really really nervous about not getting in as they didn’t mention anything apart from “we’ll let you know in two weeks” soooo.. 🤷🏽*♀️ Not exactly got a great feeling but who knows, all I can do now is pray! I hope everyone else’s goes well, will be back with a reply on whether I got in or not in two ish weeks :smile:
Original post by uxutwist
I don’t think it really matters! They lay out all of your work on the table so if u have books then they’ll open them to pages and ask you to talk about your work. I hope yours goes well!

I’ve just had mine, heading home now and honestly, no idea how it went. Can’t really tell so I’m really really nervous about not getting in as they didn’t mention anything apart from “we’ll let you know in two weeks” soooo.. 🤷🏽*♀️ Not exactly got a great feeling but who knows, all I can do now is pray! I hope everyone else’s goes well, will be back with a reply on whether I got in or not in two ish weeks :smile:

Don`t worry, from all the interviews I`ve done , even if they adore you they will show no sign of it. Its just how interviewer are, protocol and all that. Was there anything specific advice wise to look out for you would be so kind to share? If not its totally undrstandable :smile: Hope it goes okay for you , dont be nervous be glad you have done it, its quite an achievement no matter what the result is.
Don`t worry, from all the interviews I`ve done , even if they adore you they will show no sign of it. Its just how interviewer are, protocol and all that. Was there anything specific advice wise to look out for you would be so kind to share? If not its totally undrstandable :smile: Hope it goes okay for you , dont be nervous be glad you have done it, its quite an achievement no matter what the result is.

That’s true, I’m trying to keep a positive mind! Thank you 😄 advice I would give would be pick out works that you definitely want to talk about and have stuff prepared to talk about it. Maybe keep some questions in mind that you want to ask. And keep in mind a few contemporary artists that you like and relate to you work. Good luck!
soooo, to update... I GOT IN! I guess I’ll be seeing some of you in September hopefully 😁😁 over the moon and I can’t wait now!! gotta sort out finance and accommodation now
soooo, to update... I GOT IN! I guess I’ll be seeing some of you in September hopefully 😁😁 over the moon and I can’t wait now!! gotta sort out finance and accommodation now

Hi uxutwist,

Congratulations! That's great news 😁👏🎉 We will look forward to welcoming you on campus!

We have a lot of accommodation options, you can find details here:
http://www.ncl.ac.uk/accommodation/u...undergraduate/

This comparison table provides an easy way to compare what's on offer and includes information on walking distance to campus: http://www.ncl.ac.uk/media/wwwnclacu...n_overview.pdf

If you'd like to know more about the locations of our accommodation and what's on offer nearby then have a read of this blog:
https://microsites.ncl.ac.uk/oncours...accommodation/

We also have lots of information about fees & finance here: http://www.ncl.ac.uk/undergraduate/finance/

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Hope this helps,

Valentina

Yay I got in too :smile: found out today!
Yay I got in too :smile: found out today!

Congratulations allofthestars! 😁👏🎉

If you have any questions please feel free to ask!

Best wishes,

Valentina
Hi!! I've just found this page because I've been waiting for so long for a reply from Newcastle fine art course :frown:( I went to an interview more than 2 months ago and I'm super nervous about the outcome of the interview. It's my first choice and I want a place sooo bad!! Does anyone know anything about how they distribute replies???
Original post by Ellfinch
Hi!! I've just found this page because I've been waiting for so long for a reply from Newcastle fine art course :frown:( I went to an interview more than 2 months ago and I'm super nervous about the outcome of the interview. It's my first choice and I want a place sooo bad!! Does anyone know anything about how they distribute replies???

Hey! I think they’ve only just started to hand out replies so it may be that they’re just taking a while to get to yours! Check your emails regularly as you’ll get an email from the head of department specifically before you get a UCAS official reply. Hope you get in!! Good luck x
Original post by Newcastle University
Congratulations allofthestars! 😁👏🎉

If you have any questions please feel free to ask!

Best wishes,

Valentina

I have a question about accommodation.. when will the portal be open for applications? Is there a specific date?
I have a question about accommodation.. when will the portal be open for applications? Is there a specific date?

Hi uxutwist,

Our team have been aiming to have the portal live this March. They may run a little over, but shouldn't be long to wait now at all.

Once live, you'll be able to make your application here: https://accommodation.ncl.ac.uk/apply/

(and congrats again on your offer, exciting times!)

Best wishes,

Susie
Thought I’d post something on here since I had no idea what to expect beforehand so if anyone has theirs coming up hopefully this might help a bit. As people have said they review your portfolio beforehand for about 10 minutes before inviting you in. When I walked in everyone (the 2 lecturers and a student) was standing up and all my work was laid out. I think I presumed the stuff on top was the things they were interested in but actually when they asked for me to talk about one of my pieces I think they meant anything to be honest, so I never got to explain some of the stuff below the stuff on top, which was a shame since I think some of those ideas were important to the collection as a whole. Definitely have some things to say about a few specific pieces. Likewise, have some questions about why Newcastle specifically and what artists inspire you and any recent exhibitions you have seen. Think it might be interviews at all universities but I felt quite uncomfortable and there were a few awkward pauses where I ran out of things to discuss. I think maybe the set up made me nervous so I ended up talking very quickly - be prepared for something you’re not expecting and try and stay calm (might just have been me since this was my first!). Don’t be afraid to take charge of the interview and direct it where you want. Decide beforehand what you want them to know (about your work, the future and history of, and about yourself as an artist) and what is important to you. Where you think an art degree will take you and why you think you should be studying it (and especially there). Hopefully this helps!
Reply 75
Hi, I think Newcastle is my first choice and really loved it when I visited but it is worrying me a bit that it is a four year course, especially as I am 20 now. Is there a particular reason that the course is longer than most BA courses? Also do you mostly accept applicants straight from A level or is there a range of people from foundation courses/A level/ other backgrounds?
Original post by Epearl
Hi, I think Newcastle is my first choice and really loved it when I visited but it is worrying me a bit that it is a four year course, especially as I am 20 now. Is there a particular reason that the course is longer than most BA courses? Also do you mostly accept applicants straight from A level or is there a range of people from foundation courses/A level/ other backgrounds?

Hey, I’m an older student as well and had some of the same questions. The reason it’s 4 years is because it’s a historical thing apparently. One student also told me it meant in the last year you can focus solely on studio work (I.e. no art history etc) and build a portfolio if you want to be an artist. She also said it was about 50/50 ratio of people who had done foundation courses and those who had gone straight from A Level so I really wouldn’t worry.
Original post by Ellfinch

Hey Ellfinch,

If you'd like to Inbox me your student number, I can check the status of your application for you 😊

Best wishes,

Susie
Does anyone know if they've sent out rejections? Or only offers?????? The anticipation is killing me :smile:)))))
@Ellfinch yeah I haven’t heard yet either :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending