The Student Room Group

Ineligible for a home fee if you take Art Foundation?

I'm planning to read Fine Art or Architecture. I'd like to take Art Foundation year before applying.

I'm wondering if taking Art Foundation full-time would make me ineligible for a home fee though.

According to the UKCISA Analysis(https://www.ukcisa.org.uk/uploads/files/1/england_he_who_pays__home_fees_public_version6_21.12.21.pdf), you must meet all the following conditions to be eligible for a home fee.

(a) you must be ‘settled’ in the UK on the first day of the first academic year of the course

(b) on the first day of the first academic year of the course, you must not be someone who qualifies for ‘home’ fees under the category headed ‘3 years in UK and Islands, EUSS settled status connection’

(c) you must have been ordinarily resident in the UK and Islands for the full three-year period before the first day of the first academic year of the course. For example, if your course begins in October 2021 you must have been ordinarily resident in the UK and Islands from 1 September 2018 to 31 August 2021

(d) the main purpose for your residence in the UK and Islands must not have been to receive full-time education during any part of that three-year period

(e) you must be ordinarily resident in the UK on the first day of the first academic year of the course

--

My personal situation satisfies everything currently. So I would be paying a home fee for the Art Foundation course. However, if I take Art Foundation full-time in the upcoming year, I won't be able to meet the condition (d) for Bachelor.

Does anyone have a similar experience?
Home fees eligibility for an art Foundation is different to the criteria for a BA. It’s classed as further education which has different rules (listed on the ukcisa website).

When you say that taking a FAD would make you ineligible for d) the following year do you mean that if you weren’t taking a FAD that you intend to leave the UK?
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Home fees eligibility for an art Foundation is different to the criteria for a BA. It’s classed as further education which has different rules (listed on the ukcisa website).

When you say that taking a FAD would make you ineligible for d) the following year do you mean that if you weren’t taking a FAD that you intend to leave the UK?

Oh I didn't know that FAD was FE. Thanks!
I checked the criteria and it's all good for me as I have ILR.

My family lives in my home country and I hold non-EU citizenship. While I don't intend to leave the UK even if it were not for FAD, I don't have any official document to prove that I'm here not mainly for full-time study.

I'm passionate about t-shirt making, so I'm thinking maybe I should set up a small e-commerce business to make and sell some t-shirts -- this might give me an official reason for staying in the UK other than the FAD?

But I just have no idea how unis will interpret this. Seeing the past rulings, it seems like the court almost always rules in favor of universities. Even for those with British citizenship, they seem to find a way to charge them international fees.

So I want to make 100% sure that I will get a home fee status for my BA. If FAD wouldn't allow me doing so, it's sad but I'll have to give up doing FAD.
Original post by venaluamov
Oh I didn't know that FAD was FE. Thanks!
I checked the criteria and it's all good for me as I have ILR.

My family lives in my home country and I hold non-EU citizenship. While I don't intend to leave the UK even if it were not for FAD, I don't have any official document to prove that I'm here not mainly for full-time study.

I'm passionate about t-shirt making, so I'm thinking maybe I should set up a small e-commerce business to make and sell some t-shirts -- this might give me an official reason for staying in the UK other than the FAD?

But I just have no idea how unis will interpret this. Seeing the past rulings, it seems like the court almost always rules in favor of universities. Even for those with British citizenship, they seem to find a way to charge them international fees.

So I want to make 100% sure that I will get a home fee status for my BA. If FAD wouldn't allow me doing so, it's sad but I'll have to give up doing FAD.

The exception for “solely for education purposes” is normally only applied to students who have been at boarding school or similar in the UK (or on a course where they were sponsored for a visa). If you have ILR and 3 years residency then it’s unlikely a university will quibble about classing you as home fees.
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
The exception for “solely for education purposes” is normally only applied to students who have been at boarding school or similar in the UK (or on a course where they were sponsored for a visa). If you have ILR and 3 years residency then it’s unlikely a university will quibble about classing you as home fees.

That's good news. Thank you for sharing. I'm still anxious though because I read the case where even boarding school students who were naturalized citizens had to pay international fees. They made legal claims but the court ruled against those students, saying their acquisition of the British nationality was to take advantage of the home fee. This was totally unexpected for me and surprised me.

Also, I'm thinking way too ahead but I'm now wondering if I would have to pay an international fee for a master's even if I have ILR because, by the time I make masters application, I would have stayed three years for education purposes. Do you know if this also doesn't matter as long as it was not a boarding school?

Quick Reply

Latest