The Student Room Group

You could be charged 25p for a coffee cup.

Scroll to see replies

I use a reusable cup, which most coffee shops are happy to take (usually as long as it fits in their machine). Because most also give you a discount for bringing your own cup, I have saved quite a bit of money already! I do think that charging 25p more is acceptable - I think the statistic about the plastic bags says it all! Although I quite like getting a discount... it wouldn't really be a discount though if you get the charge deducted, then it's just the normal price of a drink. Oh well - if it's in the name of being eco-friendly, I'm all for it! :smile:
Reply 41
Original post by paul514
I agree with your reply to the other poster if that is possible but to say go into costa or star bucks with your flask and go one flat white please is laughable.

I take my tin thermos mug to Costa. They happily make it in that.
Original post by Liamw1998

Also it’s not that I don’t care for the environment but it’s not like me not buying a couple bags a week is going to change anything. The amount of pollution the worlds governments create

I get that. I totally get it. But it isn't governments that pollute. It is people like you and I. And as you said we are just going about our daily lives. So the only way to get us to change our ways is to either offer a hook or a stick and preferably both. And you may think your input is worthless but it really isn't. Plastic bag use has fallen from 7.6 billion a year to 600 million. That is massive. Still too much, but I'll take that. Our local tip recycles 80% of the rubbish people bring. When I was a kid, there was no such thing as recycling. Cars are much more energy efficient than before, but most importantly, people are so much more aware of their impact on the environment. Sure, there are folks like yourself who feel it is pointless, but thankfully for you, there are more people around who are prepared to change and make the effort for the greater good. And it is worth it. Sure, I'm still going to have the occasional foreign holiday, but it is going to be more occasional that it once was.
I don't even see, why people like to use these paper-plastic coffe caps, through which you can't feel coffee's aroma.

In many countries people don't walk around with coffee everywhere.
We walk into a coffee shop and drink coffee from a proper porcelaine cup.

Hungary is even better in all this.
You won't even get a plastic bag in a shop, and even bottles with CocaCola are reusable.

You can buy Coke in single-use bottle, but it's cheaper to buy one in thick plastic bottle on bail.
Once you return the bottle, you save the money.

Governments should protect the environment, and limiting production of trash is one of the simpliest and most vital things to do.
Why people complain about carrying their own cups? Stop for a while and drink a proper coffee from a proper porcelaine cup. Or don't drink coffee at all, you'll save money and your stomach.

Original post by ByEeek
When I was a kid, there was no such thing as recycling. Cars are much more energy efficient than before,

A couple of decades more in the past, and there was no plastic bags at all, first owners used their cars for 10, 15, 20 years and were selling them. One car could stay in service having 3, sometimes more users.
Also, engines were designed to allow multiple renovations and replacement of every single part it's owner could easily buy, so they lasted long, instead of being scrapped after short lifespan. Most of cars were scrapped not because of mechanical fatigue, but major bodyshell corrosion.
And some cars, like Mercedes W123 were built to last for million kilometers without renovation - MB estimated that most first owners will keep their cars for 15 years, before selling them further. Who would now buy a Mercedes to keep it for 15 years? Everybody want new cars every 3-5 years.
There was less ecological awarness, but people lived more modestly in general.

Next thing we should do, is to limit weight of our cars.
In 70ies a family car like VW Passat had 900 kilos of weight, and 1.3 liter 60HP engine.
Now even supermini cars weight over a tone, and have more power. It's a pure waste of energy, especially in city traffic, where cars have to accelerate and decelerate all the time.

Theoretically we can produce lifghtweight, aerodynamical and stainless bodyshells that last for many decades, and in time only fit more and more efficient engines into those, but that wouldn't be so profitable for motor industry and most people would probably complain that they "limit their individualism".
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by ByEeek
I get that. I totally get it. But it isn't governments that pollute. It is people like you and I. And as you said we are just going about our daily lives. So the only way to get us to change our ways is to either offer a hook or a stick and preferably both. And you may think your input is worthless but it really isn't. Plastic bag use has fallen from 7.6 billion a year to 600 million. That is massive. Still too much, but I'll take that. Our local tip recycles 80% of the rubbish people bring. When I was a kid, there was no such thing as recycling. Cars are much more energy efficient than before, but most importantly, people are so much more aware of their impact on the environment. Sure, there are folks like yourself who feel it is pointless, but thankfully for you, there are more people around who are prepared to change and make the effort for the greater good. And it is worth it. Sure, I'm still going to have the occasional foreign holiday, but it is going to be more occasional that it once was.

I dont think it’s pointless, if they actually put the money they gained in to making this recyclable cup for the people, but they are using things like this to profit from people which isn’t right. I understand your feelings on it, and it’s because of feelings like yours that the government can get away with rinsing is yet again for everything they can in the false name of protecting something else
I dont think it’s pointless, if they actually put the money they gained in to making this recyclable cup for the people, but they are using things like this to profit from people which isn’t right. I understand your feelings on it, and it’s because of feelings like yours that the government can get away with rinsing is yet again for everything they can in the false name of protecting something else

By profitting do you mean paying for the NHS and education etc? If there is a 25p tax on each cup of coffee that is a good incentive for Costa and Starbucks to change their business model. This certainly isn't a mandatory tax. It is easily avoided so it is your choice.
Original post by ByEeek
By profitting do you mean paying for the NHS and education etc? If there is a 25p tax on each cup of coffee that is a good incentive for Costa and Starbucks to change their business model. This certainly isn't a mandatory tax. It is easily avoided so it is your choice.

As the initial post stated though, companies will be taxed regardless of recyclable cups being used being majority of them aren’t recyclable. And if they need more money for things like the NHS and education they should charge higher taxes to everyone who uses it, not just coffee drinkers. Completely different issues. That’s like me saying to you “okay you use TSR which requires electricity, which means pollution from fossil fuels, so I want you to contribute more towards the benefit system for those without a job”. Any money made from this should be used to sort out the issue that it is put in place to sort out. But the simple fact is, they will generate more income from not sorting it out quickly, which is how you can tell it’s not about sorting it out.

And I do understand what you are saying but I think you’re looking at this as them doing this with the best intentions where as I am looking at it as them doing it for their own benefit, with the cover story of having good intentions.
(edited 6 years ago)
m doing this with the best intentions where as I am looking at it as them doing it for their own benefit, with the cover story of having good intentions.

Nah. Simply because such a tax will only have a very short term fiscal imact. And if that is the case then job done, just like the bag tax.
I think it’s good. It will stimulate using reusable cups, just like when they started charging for plastic bags.
Reply 49
Original post by PTMalewski
Theoretically we can produce lifghtweight, aerodynamical and stainless bodyshells that last for many decades, and in time only fit more and more efficient engines into those, but that wouldn't be so profitable for motor industry and most people would probably complain that they "limit their individualism".

No 'theoretically' about it. There are steam engines built during the Industrial Revolution that still work to this day. We absolutely have the ability to build engines and cars that will last virtually forever with proper maintenence. But even if car manufactures did build such cars (and they very deliberately don't right now), it wouldn't make much difference, because as you alluded, cars have become a fashion accessory with most people, and like iPhones, they just have to have the latest one.
Original post by Danny Dorito
UK politicians want a tax on the 2.5bn coffee cups used a year. The 25p charge would be applied to every disposable coffee cup used in the UK as the vast majority of these cups cannot be recycled.

You can read the full story here.

What do you make of this? Is this a good idea? Do you already use a reusable cup?

Yes definately. The plastic bags for 5p had a great impact and i am sure this would too.
Original post by Wōden
No 'theoretically' about it. There are steam engines built during the Industrial Revolution that still work to this day. We absolutely have the ability to build engines and cars that will last virtually forever with proper maintenence. But even if car manufactures did build such cars (and they very deliberately don't right now), it wouldn't make much difference, because as you alluded, cars have become a fashion accessory with most people, and like iPhones, they just have to have the latest one.

Planned obsolescence is somewhat necessary for corporations under modern capitalism.
Reply 52
Original post by Dima-Blackburn
Planned obsolescence is somewhat necessary for corporations under modern capitalism.

I know, but I still find it irritatingly decadent and wasteful.
Original post by PTMalewski
Hungary is even better in all this.
You won't even get a plastic bag in a shop, and even bottles with CocaCola are reusable.

You can buy Coke in single-use bottle, but it's cheaper to buy one in thick plastic bottle on bail.
Once you return the bottle, you save the money.

They have this in a lot of European countries! In Norway where I used to live, it's called Pant Krone, and there are special machines for them.
Original post by Dima-Blackburn

Don't worry. Inspite of this trick and their priviliges in law and taxes, sooner or later they will bring themselves to the edge of collapse and ask for another billions of taxpayer's money, like General Motors and many banks did after 2008.
How did they decide the tax? By looking at the cost of recycling or using the same price discounted when you bring a travel mug to a coffee shop? There’s no doubt this will bring down the usage but recycling? Nope. Not enough facilities in Britain to accommodate this and I’ve heard coffee cups make up something like 0.1% of waste.

Sounds like a nice idea but would it work? Hm.
Good idea, although possibly a little weak. I feel like if you're already spending £3 on a coffee then another 25p isn't going to be that big a deal to you.

Then again, a lot of people stopped using plastic bags when the 5p charge came in, so maybe it will be effective.
Reply 57
Down with the government!!! Aint no body going to tax my Coffee! Revolution!
Original post by Danny Dorito
UK politicians want a tax on the 2.5bn coffee cups used a year. The 25p charge would be applied to every disposable coffee cup used in the UK as the vast majority of these cups cannot be recycled.

You can read the full story here.

What do you make of this? Is this a good idea? Do you already use a reusable cup?

The responsibility should lie on the shoulders of the coffee companies and the companies that make their cups. They could quite easily invest a little money into producing fully recyclable coffee cups, but they choose to keep their current cups and just make more money out of it. They obviously have no desire to help the planet.
Original post by Manitude
If you are so busy that you cannot carry a cup or spare the time to sit in the coffee shop with one of their mugs, then I'm sure you'll be able to afford the 25p for a disposable cup. If you can't then you should probably get a better job or stop drinking coffee from coffee shops.

So much sass

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending