The Student Room Group

Dorm List

I am going to study Econ and I am here to ask what you would suggest that I have in my dorm room?
Original post by Raven9999
I am going to study Econ and I am here to ask what you would suggest that I have in my dorm room?

Hi there,

As a fellow student, I understand that setting up your dorm room can be a bit of a challenge. From my experience, it's important to create a space that feels comfortable and conducive to studying. A desk lamp is a must for those late-night study sessions. Additionally, a good set of noise-cancelling headphones can be a lifesaver when you need to focus. Lastly, adding personal items like photos, posters, or a favorite blanket can make the space feel more like home. Remember, this is your space, so make it a place where you'll enjoy spending time.

Take care,
Ilya :smile:

Ilya's suggestions sound good but I'd like to add a few!

Plug extension cords (the type that give you additional sockets) - great for if your dorm has limited plugs!

Kitchen things if you have a kitchen/cooking facilities at your uni (utensils, cutlery, bowls, plates, cups, etc.)

A small bin for miscellaneous rubbish

There is lots of advice online as well!

Hiya!

Amongst the essentials I would also recommend you bringing some home comforts which can perk up your room a bit and make the space more personal to you. Going to university is a whole new exciting yet scary experience and is a mix of emotions but in the first few weeks it's quite likely you will feel a bit home sick. In addition, most bedrooms look identical and quite plain it is how you decorate that makes your room unique to you and for it to be your own personal and private space. However, it is important to factor in how much room you are working with as you don’t want your accommodation bedroom to feel cluttered / overwhelming but also how much space you have in whatever transport you are moving via.

Some personal items which I would recommend that tend to be forgotten are:

Photos (most accommodations have some sort of notice boards so also bring push pins but if not bring a few photo frames also or a photo album)

Some sort of lights (check with accommodation rules but fairy lights, funky neon light signs, night lights or at least a lamp,I think they are really underrated when you just want to chill out in the evenings but no have the main light on

Artificial / real plants (just brings a bit of life to the room and I guess it is whatever you can keep alive aha)

Blanket/ Throw, some accommodations can get quite cold in the colder months and a blanket that smells like home works a treat

A plush (or a few because they are sentimental to have in your room)

And just general items which make you happy. This is just a bit more of a general list and this is from the DMU website https://www.dmu.ac.uk/study/applicant-tasters/your-community/what-to-bring.aspx

And just a tip, when I moved into my accommodation I asked my friends what they brought / are bringing in case I hadn't thought of something they had and I also looked at social media pages such as Tik Tok.

I hope this helps
-Maddie, second year Health and well-being in society student at De Montfort University

Lots of online lists that have the basics and essentials. UCAS has a packing list, your university has a packing list, pretty sure we have a packing list somewhere on TSR... those are all great resources to check. I'd just like to really stress to bring stuff to make it your own space. Makes all the difference in the world :smile:

Hi!

That's so exciting! I'd recommend some things to make the space feel like yours ie. a nice lamps, blankets, cushions, any photos that you like. Most rooms come with a pin board to put stuff up on but I'd have a look at the accommodation list and requirements. I'm also a big fan of fairy lights to make the room feel cosy but in my first year accommodation they had to be battery operated and not plug in ones, so that's an example of things to look out for before you start buying things. Also some easy slip on shoes are great for wearing around the apartment, crocs and sliders are a favourite in halls.

I hope this helps and if you have any more questions please feel free to ask!

- Jessica
2nd year, Computer Science (Artificial Intelligence)
Hey! Lots of great suggestions above - definitely agree with bring sliders or slippers, something easy to slip on to walk around in. I really wanted my room to feel like a bit of home so personal touches like photos, I had some fairy lights with pegs on that I could hang photos up on which was great as I could add to them during the year too with new photos! I also made sure I had my favourite mug and takeaway coffee cup for the morning lectures so I could quickly make a coffee to have on the way.I actually forgot to take a desk lamp so that was one of the first things I went and bought as it was useful to have on when studying and I like to have smaller lights on in the room.

I'd say check if your accommodation has lists of things you can take, or what is already in the room (I had a noticeboard I could pin things too) and consider storage options too. But the great thing is I wouldn't worry if you forget anything as you can buy things so easily online or in shops, plus with my flatmates we found if one of us needed something, chances were someone else would have it to borrow or use!

I hope packing goes well and you enjoy your university experience 😃

Jennie

Hi there,
It's entirely up to you how you decorate your room at university. When it comes to packing, my best advice would be 'less is more'. Figure out what essentials you need to take from home. My top recommendation is to bring decoration to make your room feel more homely, whatever that means to you. Don't pack anything you could easily purchase once you arrive at university.

-Nicky

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending