The Student Room Group

Final trial for Scotsman who taught his girlfriends pug to Nazi salute delayed again

Edit: Sorry, wrong thread
(edited 6 years ago)
Someone getting into legal trouble for an "offensive" joke is exactly the kind of thing people mean when they talk about "political correctness gone mad". Ridiculous that this even got to the court in the first place, it should have been dropped ages ago.
This is funny, yeah, maybe it was immature but still, people need to not get so butt hurt. I mean if they're gonna arrest him, they should be arresting like the majority of the meme community, and a large portion of the internet, not just one guy who made a ****ing pug salute hitler XD
Reply 3
Oh come on this guys banter was on the level, theyre clearly just punishing him out of spite.
Reply 4
A staggering waste of time and resources. The CPS should be ashamed with themselves.

And just to highlight their utter hypocrisy... https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/nov/03/bahar-mustafa-charges-dropped-killallwhitemen-row
Reply 5
Original post by Wōden
A staggering waste of time and resources. The CPS should be ashamed with themselves.

And just to highlight their utter hypocrisy... https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/nov/03/bahar-mustafa-charges-dropped-killallwhitemen-row

another girl claiming that because she's non white it is impossible for her to be racist towards whites...........
Reply 6
Original post by FriendlyPenguin
They've been delaying the trial for 2 years now. What the hell are they playing at? Even if he avoids jail - which isn't a given - that's a lot of his life having this whole farce hanging over him.

https://mobile.twitter.com/CountDankulaTV/status/949318053816422402

It would have been seen as hilarious in a comedy sketch by any famous comic - but as it was a youtube video by a random person, he has been thrown to the courts.

As much as I hate austerity and the Tories, this makes me wonder if the police and CPS are really as underfunded as is claimed.

Well, given that it's the Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal Service that leads prosecutions in Scotland rather than the CPS, I wouldn't read too much into that.

I'm certainly no apologist for antisemitism, but I do think this has probably gone too far. That said, I can see the sensitivity and why what is suggested would be considered offensive. The dog doing a Nazi salute was one thing - I'm actually all for taking the piss out of Nazis - the "gas" remark brought it into the realms of genuine offensiveness.

Still, they could have dealt with this quickly and had the issue closed.
The fact this became a criminal case in the first place is a disgrace. It's obvious to any sensible person that there was nothing serious, malicious or harmful about what he did. That man is no threat to society and is in no need of any sort of punishment or rehabilitation. It was a dumb joke with a dog that hurt no one.

The humourless, moronic, self-righteous busybodies who want this man in jail are the ones who need a lesson. Not him.
Disgraceful that any legal system would waste time on a harmless joke.
The joke was pretty harmless, and there’s other things that our legal system and police force can spend their time doing. The fact you can be arrested for a sarcastic or joking remark online is pretty insane. I won’t define Nazis but his joke wasn’t intended to cause anyone grief
Insane
Original post by Dandaman1
The fact this became a criminal case in the first place is a disgrace. It's obvious to any sensible person that there was nothing serious, malicious or harmful about what he did. That man is no threat to society and is in no need of any sort of punishment or rehabilitation. It was a dumb joke with a dog that hurt no one.

The humourless, moronic, self-righteous busybodies who want this man in jail are the ones who need a lesson. Not him.

I do think this is all rather silly. Though what makes it difficult to be invested his case is how alt right types and victim mentalitied losers have decided to make this case all about them and their fight for 'freedom'.

Everything to them is this paranoid fight against 'the establishment'. Both sides are so insufferable that people like this guy get caught in the middle.
This is why we need to abolish hate speech laws

They're so vague they can jail people for even a fking joke

This is the rape of justice we're witnessing and people actually see him as the villain?
Original post by RF_PineMarten
talk about "political correctness gone mad".

I think you are wrong. This isnt political correctness gone mad it is political correctness full stop.
You couldn't ask for a finer example of how political correctness contrary to popular belief is not about preventing offence but about controlling people.
The reason they are going ahead with the prosecution despite the fact that it was obviously a joke and they are making asses of themselves and there is a very good chance he won't be found guilty, but is to warn people to self censor.
Reply 14
Original post by YinonPlan
This is why we need to abolish hate speech laws

They're so vague they can jail people for even a fking joke

This is the rape of justice we're witnessing and people actually see him as the villain?

You don't need "hate crime" legislation to bring charges here. One of the things he is charged with is using communications networks for grossly offensive purposes. It doesn't matter whether it is racist or sectarian. The other is a breach of the peace - taking an action that will cause alarm and distress to others, to which the Jewish element is only a tacked-on aggravation.

Breach of the peace is an ancient offence, and we have legislated against offensive and obscene communications for a very long time.
Its a silly case really, although hes not helping himself by launching a social media campaign that appeases to the far right 4chan trolls who see him as some sort of martyr.
Original post by merlynnn
Its a silly case really, although hes not helping himself by launching a social media campaign that appeases to the far right 4chan trolls who see him as some sort of martyr.

I agree, but it is understandable as they are the only ones that have consistently shown an interest in his farcical trial. The MSM haven't wanted to know over the last two years.
It's a funny old world now.
Just like if you believe in free speech and stand up for it now in America you will find yourself shoulder to shoulder with right-wing voters getting screamed at and called a Nazi by left-wingers from across the street.
Original post by Just my opinion
I agree, but it is understandable as they are the only ones that have consistently shown an interest in his farcical trial. The MSM haven't wanted to know over the last two years.
It's a funny old world now.
Just like if you believe in free speech and stand up for it now in America you will find yourself shoulder to shoulder with right-wing voters getting screamed at and called a Nazi by left-wingers from across the street.

Just look at his twitter bio though. the key to winning over the court is to seem sincere and professional but firm at the same time. Given how much hes pandered to the far right and alt right, Ill be fine with him getting a sentence simply due to the fact that hes given the court enough evidence to suggest malicious intent.

He seems arrogant and thinks hes got the people behind him. He doesnt.
Edit: Sorry, wrong thread
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by FriendlyPenguin
He only turned "alt-right" after being charged.

If you watch the videos from before the event - as the court probably will - you will see that he used to be very much a Corbyn fan, so I doubt that would suggest to them malicious intent.

Doesnt really matter. The prosecution is going to rip him apart for pandering to the alt right afterwards.

Being a corbyn fan may mean hes economically left but socially right - much like the nazis...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending