The Student Room Group

Joining the British army Reserve soldier

I'm currently in Year 11 and during the summer holidays i kinda want to join the army reserve solider. I have passed over the minimum age requirement to qualify (16 and 6 months old) and was wondering what was it like being in the British army as an reserve solider.
Is it just as hard as an regular soldier and what kind of things would i be taught?
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 1
Where did you get your information about eligibility for the Army Reserves? You have to be 18 to join.

The training commitment is manageable as it's designed to fit in with people's personal lives and jobs. However, you can be called on to work alongside the Regular Army, both in the UK and overseas, and that can be months.
Reply 2
Original post by Surnia
Where did you get your information about eligibility for the Army Reserves? You have to be 18 to join.

The training commitment is manageable as it's designed to fit in with people's personal lives and jobs. However, you can be called on to work alongside the Regular Army, both in the UK and overseas, and that can be months.

oh i got my information from the British army that came to my school for like apprenticeships or like applying for the army. They said that you have to be 16 to qualify.
Reply 3
Original post by ChrisK054
oh i got my information from the British army that came to my school for like apprenticeships or like applying for the army. They said that you have to be 16 to qualify.

16: Regular Army yes, Reserves no.
Reply 4
Original post by ChrisK054
I'm currently in Year 11 and during the summer holidays i kinda want to join the army reserve solider. I have passed over the minimum age requirement to qualify (16 and 6 months old) and was wondering what was it like being in the British army as an reserve solider.
Is it just as hard as an regular soldier and what kind of things would i be taught?

Hi,

I joined the reserves when I was 18, was still in college at the time and lasted about 6 years.

I did enjoy it for the most part, met some lifelong friends, earned quite a bit of money for a 18 year old and enjoyed many different experiences.

There was always something going on, such as exercises, training, competitions, and what I enjoyed the most was Royal salutes, as I was in the artillery.

If you’re really committed and show it then they can even put you through your car and HGV license, along with going for promotions, which does increased your pay, also the tax free bounty at the end of the year is worthwhile.

The downside for me personally was we were getting put under pressure to go on tours of Afghanistan, and the favourites did seem to get put on courses first.

The only reason I left was to join the Police.

I would definitely recommend it

Quick Reply

Latest